[SUGGESTION] -- MASTER MASTER template

Guest Dlf

Sound weird but just be quiet and read. :devil: .

I already know IPB has a "master" skin template (skin-id--1) but if something goes wrong with that, all sub skins of that get the defect and get "mishappen" (as one of my boards did a couple of minutes ago).

What I mean by master master template is: A master template for the forums (ours) master template. If possible our template would inheriet (if wanted) from this template (MM). Why would this be "good"? It may prevent/be somewhat of a safeguard against mishappend boards (when the master template goes arway). This would 'right it' and so all the forum skins look correct, and get the right apperance.

Unless i'm misinterpreting you, can't you already do this by creating sub skins on new skins?

See the picture below:-

skin-inherit.png

Both test skins inherit from the default skin which in turn inherits from the master skin...?

To do this, create a new skin set and it'll be added below the master, now edit that skin sets settings and choose set parent to ipb default.

I was actually thinking more of along the lines of after an upgrade, . . . I know you can create skins and they get the templates/what-not of the "parent". Not exactly what I am thinking of.

SIMPLY: A 'master' template OUR master template would inheirit from that IPB MAKES (and stores some place (secure?)). Why would this be good? IF people UPGRADE a site, it could (easily) 'screw' up the skin [somehow*]. This is idea is: even if that "happens" OUR master would be good & have the "correct" HTML/what-not, so our skins would not have the actual HTML floating around on our site, and making it look ugly.

If people still can't think that . . . the world is lost . . . . . . .

Even with that it may not "fix" the site to get it looking like this forum. Yesterday, I had that "exact" problem, HTML was screwed, eventually got it fixed by "recaching" & rebuilding from the database. But what if we could just prevent that all together? Wouldn't that be nice, and probably take less time? . . .

And then what happens if the master master get's borked?

This really won't provide any benefit over having a simple master template set (which is not editable). I know there were a few templating issues with the components in 2.2, but those will get ironed out, and isn't really IPB's fault.

Well, obviously make a master master master set. Problem solved!

And then have a hidden copy of that, buried somewhere inside the AdminCP...outside of the skin editor... see that's where it's really powerful.. it's outside the skin editor... totally impervious to malusage. :blink:

As much as I wanted to vote "Neurtal", I voted "Silly". "Neurtal" is DEFINITELY much more silly than "Silly".

This should be done by having and following a procedure. Don't edit the "safe" copy of your site's master skin. Apply a development skin to a restricted, admin-only forum to see how it looks. Once it's "gold", then elevate it to the entire board and delete the old skin, or save it for a few weeks. Create your next skin by copying your production ("gold") skin.

Not getting what I mean. IF NOONE can understand this, this race is doomed . . . .
IPB ITSELF (Matt, bfarber, etc) would host a 'master' copy of the skin somewhere; only THEY (can|could) edit it. OUR master-template would inheirt from THERES, so if a upgrade screws the master-skin (ours); we could the IPB MASTER and the 'skins' wouldn't have the HTML 'crap' (Like:

{ipb.lang['tb_help']}{ipb.lang['tb_search']}{ipb.lang['tb_mlist']}{ipb.lang['tb_calendar']}, {ipb.vars['home_name']}, [etc] 'flying' around and making the site unnavigateable (word? If so, spelling?).

Simple(.|?) . . . .

{ipb.lang['tb_help']}{ipb.lang['tb_search']}{ipb.lang['tb_mlist']}{ipb.lang['tb_calendar']}, {ipb.vars['home_name']}, [etc] 'flying' around and making the site unnavigateable (word? If so, spelling?).

I don't see the point. A skin only looks like that if the already in place rebuild master templates tool hasn't been run. Even after it is run the skin won't be compatible 100% even if you were to rebuild it from a master template hosted by IPS because the css is going to be different.

Not getting what I mean. IF NOONE can understand this, this race is doomed . . . .

IPB ITSELF (Matt, bfarber, etc) would host a 'master' copy of the skin somewhere; only THEY (can|could) edit it. OUR master-template would inheirt from THERES, so if a upgrade screws the master-skin (ours); we could the IPB MASTER and the 'skins' wouldn't have the HTML 'crap' (Like:

I think there is some confusion. There is already a master template that only Matt and Brandon edit. It is the file included in your download:
/resources/ipb_templates.xml

You can simply download the newest copy of this, and upload it to the /resources/ folder. From there, rebuild your master skin set, and then recache your skin templates.

Your master skin set would be rebuilt from the 'ipb_templates.xml' file. And then your skins will inherit from your master skin set.

Even if your board skin does not work, your ACP skin will. So at any point, you can always go in, rebuild your master templates (from the .xml file) and recache your skin template files.

Archived