WHAT IS THIS SERVER CONFIGURATIONS (ipb board)

Guest media

Would someone tell us what kind of hardware and software you guys are using on this ipb forum server????

I am just trying to find a good server configuration.... :thumbsup:

This question has been asked by me on a couple of occasions over the past two years and I would still dearly love to know the hardware details - of this board and now IPS Beyond.

Come on IPB, give us a clue what sort of system you have?

For many years we've leased rack-space, servers and equipment from various third-party

providers and while, on the whole, this has served us well, we've simply outgrown the server leasing model. To that end, we've secured and built-out space in a facility not far from us in Reston, VA. We now own everything, from the rack to the core routers (Cisco 6500's for those techies that are interested) to the servers themselves. This has allowed us to offer much more flexible solutions across the board, which you will soon find more details about on this very blog.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/blog/ips_n...?showentry=1804

• Management

We're testing out Virtuozzo in hopes of soon offering VPS services... a good chunk of our corporate stuff, including these forums, are now on isolated VPS's -- the node is a Dual Opteron machine with 6GB of RAM and 2 147GB SCSI drives. :)

We're testing out Virtuozzo in hopes of soon offering VPS services... a good chunk of our corporate stuff, including these forums, are now on isolated VPS's -- the node is a Dual Opteron machine with 6GB of RAM and 2 147GB SCSI drives. :)

Interesting amount of RAM, about what I would have expected, or a little less actually, for a dual opteron.

Only 2 disks - is this configured as 294GB or is it 147GB mirrored?

Considering the importance of the system(s) I am a bit surprised that you are not using more disks along with RAID(5) for better protection against a disc failure? God help you if it is configured as 294GB and you have a disc failure!

Are you using Multi or Single path SCSI to the disks?

• Management

Interesting amount of RAM, about what I would have expected, or a little less actually, for a dual opteron.

Only 2 disks - is this configured as 294GB or is it 147GB mirrored?

Considering the importance of the system(s) I am a bit surprised that you are not using more disks along with RAID(5) for better protection against a disc failure? God help you if it is configured as 294GB and you have a disc failure!

Are you using Multi or Single path SCSI to the disks?

We find it is more economical to have failover systems in place than gigantic uber servers. Kind of the approach of multiple lesser machines rather than one enormous one.

We find it is more economical to have failover systems in place than gigantic uber servers. Kind of the approach of multiple lesser machines rather than one enormous one.

Having a failover system makes very good sense even though............

I'll stop at this point, and take off my 'consultancy hat' (disaster recovery!?) as my basic question has been answered.

Many thanks Charles.

Archived