Upgrade or Reinstall?

Guest Cheesehead Dave

My board has only been up since February, so I started out with 2.1.something. Would there be any benefit to starting with a fresh copy of the board software when 2.2 is released, or should I just directly upgrade the existing board?

If I went with the fresh copy, what would the procedure be? Back up the database, install a fresh copy of 2.1.7, then upgrade that to 2.2, or can I use the backed-up database from 2.1.7 and restore it to a fresh 2.2 installation?

Hi,

I would do a fresh install every time.

It makes sure that any files that should not be there gets cleaned up.

If your system has been compromised in any way and you are not aware of it, then doing a fresh install makes sure that anything that the hackers have left around to help them are removed....

Not every one is wanting or willing to lose everything they've worked for by doing a fresh install. Since he's recently started the forums, he won't have a whole lot to lose. But for others, that's a lot of information to lose. I'm not willing to lose all of that. I have back-up so if something goes wrong, my site is hacked, I may lost a weeks worth of information at the most. Not months or for some, years.

Not every one is wanting or willing to lose everything they've worked for by doing a fresh install. Since he's recently started the forums, he won't have a whole lot to lose. But for others, that's a lot of information to lose. I'm not willing to lose all of that. I have back-up so if something goes wrong, my site is hacked, I may lost a weeks worth of information at the most. Not months or for some, years.

I see your point, but a backup wont detect if anything has been tampered with.

Recently I was hacked, and all they did was place a r57shell script that gave them full access to the site, and also added a few lines of code into my index.php that atempted to install virus's on my users PCs.

Removing all the files and doing a fresh install makes sure there is nothing left behind that a hacker was using....

I just think its worth the effort....

A "fresh install" doesnt necessarily mean wiping the database, either... you could easily remove all your old IPB files (saving only conf_global.php) and replace with the ones from 2.2 (again, dont overwrite conf_global.php)... you will still need to run the upgrade script to apply all the database changes, etc...

This might especially be useful if there is any chance your board was affected by any of the 2.1.x exploits that allowed people to upload files to your installation...

I'm sure each board installation and administrator will require their own needs when it comes time to move up from 2.1.x to 2.2...

Archived