Thank you!

Guest Logan

Thank you for changing the method used to view the full size of a linked image.

Now, you can click anywhere on the image. Before, I found the transparent div in the bottom right corner really ugly... not only that, it wasn't as user-friendly as it is now (click anywhere vs. click "here" -- tiny little box in the bottom right corner).

Thank you for changing the method used to view the full size of a linked image.

Now, you can click anywhere on the image. Before, I found it really ugly the transparent div in the bottom right corner... not only that, it wasn't as user-friendly as it is now (click anywhere vs. click "here" -- tiny little box in the bottom right corner).

Technically, you can only click the black bar now.

This is to ensure images wrapped in a URL tag work still. :)

But I do believe the current way is an improvement.

Clicking anywhere would be best, I agree, however if you wrap an image in url tags it will all break then. So this was the best compromise we could come up with.

Is it possible to make clicking on the reduced image show the full image if the image is NOT wrapped in URL tags (which is 99% of the time on my forum)? I didn't even know people were doing this often enough for it to be an issue.

..Al

Is it possible to make clicking on the reduced image show the full image if the image is NOT wrapped in URL tags (which is 99% of the time on my forum)? I didn't even know people were doing this often enough for it to be an issue.

..Al

Wondering the same, good idea :thumbsup:

If not linked, click anywhere. If it is linked, click bar to resize, click image to view URL.

• Management

..Al

Yes it's possible - but it would break the consistency of the feature. There's no visible indication that the image has been wrapped in url tags, so you'd click on one image and the image would open in a new window yet clicking another would take you to another website.

Yes it's possible - but it would break the consistency of the feature. There's no visible indication that the image has been wrapped in url tags, so you'd click on one image and the image would open in a new window yet clicking another would take you to another website.

That's true, but how many people wrap URLs around images? I'd have to guess a very tiny fraction given how infrequently I've seen it used in my experience (well, except maybe for images in signatures, but I do not allow images in sigs on my forum). I do not believe the inconsistency is a big deal--when you click on an URL tag you don't know where you're going anyway. With an URL wrapped image, instead of viewing a larger version of the image you're going to a different type of link. I feel you are sacrificing usability for a tiny percentage of images that are wrapped in URL tags.

You could always add a visual indicator when an image is wrapped in an URL tag, which might be a good warning for those who don't trust where they might be going. Even something like changing the alt/title tags would be helpful,

"Click image to view full size"

or

"Click image to visit http://www.hotgrits.com"

Adding a small icon to the black bar could also be a visual indicator--you can use a zoom icon when clicking the image would result in viewing a larger version, and a globe or some other icon to represent that clicking the image would go to a webpage (and again, use the tooltips above for clarification if someone hovers over these graphics). Once people learn what these icons represent in the black bar, they'd know instantly if they are going to be taken to an external link when they click an image.

..Al

That's true, but how many people wrap URLs around images? I'd have to guess a very tiny fraction given how infrequently I've seen it used in my experience (well, except maybe for images in signatures, but I do not allow images in sigs on my forum). I do not believe the inconsistency is a big deal--when you click on an URL tag you don't know where you're going anyway. With an URL wrapped image, instead of viewing a larger version of the image you're going to a different type of link. I feel you are sacrificing usability for a tiny percentage of images that are wrapped in URL tags.

You could always add a visual indicator when an image is wrapped in an URL tag, which might be a good warning for those who don't trust where they might be going. Even something like changing the alt/title tags would be helpful,

"Click image to view full size"

or

"Click image to visit

http://www.hotgrits.com"

Adding a small icon to the black bar could also be a visual indicator--you can use a zoom icon when clicking the image would result in viewing a larger version, and a globe or some other icon to represent that clicking the image would go to a webpage (and again, use the tooltips above for clarification if someone hovers over these graphics). Once people learn what these icons represent in the black bar, they'd know instantly if they are going to be taken to an external link when they click an image.

..Al

Still, why bother with all this? Clicking the black bar is how I've seen it in most other implementations (or, whatever color the bar happens to be). I see this as a wasted expenditure of time, and personally wouldn't want the image to open different things different times. It makes more sense how it is now.

And just because you don't see linked images often doesn't mean it doesn't often happen. :)

I personally don't like IP.Board's way of making image thumbnails, not only does it not occur until the entire page has finished loading, it also makes the page scroll sluggishly.

That's only for linked images - images that are uploaded are thumbnailed properly. This simply isn't feasible for linked images however.

Clicking anywhere would be best, I agree, however if you wrap an image in url tags it will all break then. So this was the best compromise we could come up with.

I agree, and I like it; it is noticeable enough that people know where to click and at the same time it lets wrap an image with url tags... thumbs up.

I'm going to suggest changing the text from "Click to view full image" to "Click bar to view full image" or something... Looking at "Click to view full image" isn't exactly clear where to click... Adding "bar" might be a little clearer :).

I personally don't see a problem with the way it is now... However... how difficult would it be for me to skin this differently? What I would like to do is add a black square at the bottom right hand corner with "Click to view full image" (or something like that) and remove the bar completely. The information of how much the image was sized down really isn't all that necessary to me, and I would rather put it in a tool tip :). That's something I would like to do for me, I'm not suggesting it be done that way.

As far as clicking images breaking links... This isn't just a minority... A LOT of people do this, especially in signatures. In posts people could use a service like ImageShack instead of uploading images.... ImageShack provides thumbnails as well, and you need to be able to make that thumbnail click-able... The resize feature is not an excuse for people to be lazy.

Being the one that brought up the issue (but I doubt it would have gone un-noticed if I hadn't spoke up), I might have a solution, but I don't know how feasible it is:

Since JavaScript is being used to size the image down in the first place what you *might* be able to do is take the image's object and request it's parentNode. As far as I know this is supported through every browser... Not entirely sure, but I'm *fairly sure*.

So, in theory, you could set the "enlarge" function to onmousedown, check to see if the "parentNode" is an address ("a") tag, and if it is do nothing. If it isn't enlarge the image. In the bar it would enlarge the image regardless.

Again, I'm not sure if this is feasible or not... But it's an idea...

If the parentNode isn't an address tag, maybe it shouldn't work anyway? Or you could check parentNode up to 3 levels or something. :huh:

Archived