IPSBeyond Access?

Guest PolakTom101

Subscriptions for downloads and support just makes sense. I wouldn't mind if they were separate actually, for those that don't require one or the other. I also wouldn't mind seeing longer time frames available at slightly discounted rates. (i.e. one year, two years, five years, whatever) ;)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in two minds about IPS beyond. I'm still not a big fan of it, as I prefer the maturity in the Community Forums here, but here is my ideas / suggestions:

- Allow access to downloads for the software versions their license allows (upload and download)

- Allow read access to topics in apropriate forums (maybe sub-forums for particular versions, provide read access to those)

- Read and write access to Auto-Generate mod support topics where they are the modification author - I made a mod, but couldnt support it on IPSB for some time because my support had expired - quite annoying for both parties, and reflects badly on IPSB.

I know it's not likely to be done, but thats my views on the matter anyway.

Michael :)

I have read a post, I believe by bfarber, that said they are thinking about making IPSB more open.

Clearly you wouldn't be able to ask questions, but the support topics will be at least viewable, and clearly the other additional features of IPSB wouldn't be viewable.

I would like to see modification authors, that have a modification that requires supports ( lets face it, some modifications are just that simple ), to allow the authors to get x days after their support subscription expires. This of course might stack on a scale, and would only be used to extend the period they are able to support their modification ( perhaps on be able to post only in the modification forum )

I have read a post, I believe by bfarber, that said they are thinking about making IPSB more open.

Clearly you wouldn't be able to ask questions, but the support topics will be at least viewable, and clearly the other additional features of IPSB wouldn't be viewable.

I would like to see modification authors, that have a modification that requires supports ( lets face it, some modifications are just that simple ), to allow the authors to get x days after their support subscription expires. This of course might stack on a scale, and would only be used to extend the period they are able to support their modification ( perhaps on be able to post only in the modification forum )

We have a "points system" of sorts running the background (has been for months and months, we've just not done anything with it). One of the considerations I had thought of as a 'reward', was that modification authors (who are actively contributing to the site in a scalable way) could potentially get access to their support topics based on those points. I do see this concern, but at the same time we can't just open it all up for everyone (without changing policy, as has been discussed).

To allow modification authors access to ONLY their topics would require changes to the board software. As 2.2 is so near, we would naturally prefer to wait for any further file-modifications to the site until after it has been updated to 2.2. :)

Any other related suggestions?

I think limiting access to IPS Beyond is not a great idea. I mean once you are a IPS Customer, I think regardless of the status of your IPS License, you should have access to IPS Beyond. Because its not part of IPS, its a resource to speak, something you want avaliable for people.

Anyways that my view.

• Management

Again, we do appreciate the concern and your opinions. Unfortunately, we're not willing to consider a change in policy (as it relates to who has access) at this juncture so further discussion is really wasted in that area.

Let's please focus discussion on suggestions and feedback related to improving IPSBeyond - not the who/when/how of accessing it. :)

Thank you.

Archived