Beta1 to beta2 possible?

Guest Cool Surfer

There will be no upgrade script per beta. As announced in the public announcment.

SHAME ON YOU! :P All that hard work that went into it, and ye didnt even read it! :P Tut!

Beta 2 comes with an Upgrade Script.

I'm looking forward to hundreds of complaints of "beta broke my board!"

Beta 2 comes with an Upgrade Script.

I'm looking forward to hundreds of complaints of "beta broke my board!"

As far as I know if Beta 2 is released it shouldn't have an upgrade script... I believe the RC version is supposed to have that. Could be wrong, but I doubt they are going to have you upgrade with an encoded beta (since beta's are encoded. release candidates are not).

As far as I know if Beta 2 is released it shouldn't have an upgrade script... I believe the RC version is supposed to have that. Could be wrong, but I doubt they are going to have you upgrade with an encoded beta (since beta's are encoded. release candidates are not).

Agreed.

I don't think it's capable of upgrading from Beta 1 -> Beta 2, but the upgrade script in Beta 2 CAN upgrade 2.1

{Obviously, you are meant to upgrade a COPY of your production data, not your actual production data}

{Why were "Complete Edit" and "Cancel Edit" swapped around?}

Considering it is a Beta, I'm sure there will be those that install a 2.1.x (7 in the case mentioned) board and populate it some so that they can try the upgrade. Some may even try upgrading their their test sites. All because an upgrade script is included, doesn't necessarily mean it's meant for live data.

Yeah but if something goes wrong

Considering it is a Beta, I'm sure there will be those that install a 2.1.x (7 in the case mentioned) board and populate it some so that they can try the upgrade. Some may even try upgrading their their test sites. All because an upgrade script is included, doesn't necessarily mean it's meant for live data.

Yeah I know... But out there are sooo much people dreaming of having 2.2.0 on their Live forums... That they will upgrade right away...

Yeah but if something goes wrong… and the Beta is encoded…? Then your live board is finished…

As has been said a thousand times by staff members: No sane person should upgrade their Live Board with a beta release of IPB.

The betas are intended for test boards.

Does IPB make warning screens when you install betas? Because it's pretty obvious there are some people that don't want to listen.

As has been said a thousand times by staff members: No

sane

person should upgrade their

Live Board

with a beta release of IPB.

The betas are intended for test boards.

Does IPB make warning screens when you install betas? Because it's pretty obvious there are some people that don't want to listen.

That's what I'm trying to say... I'm sure there will still be few newbie's who will upgrade their Live BOARD... <_<

From a testing standpoint I think they should allow upgrade from beta 1 to beta 2 so those who are testing beta1 and have discovered bugs can see the resolution of those bugs in beta2 without having to completely install a new board. Keep in mind that those who are testing this thing out are setting up the boards the way they wish to see how different options and features work. By not allowing an upgrade from beta 1 to beta 2 everyone has to start from scratch in thier test board environment(and in my case I am using the beta 1 to test out features and record bug reports so I don't wish to lose what I recorded(posted) to check against these issues once they are resolved.)

All you have to do is extend the beta 1 encoded time period to the beta 2 time period which will still run out(but at a later date due to the extension that comes with beta 2) Then when you release the unencoded RC1 (or whatever) for live environment boards you can allow license holders to apply that to thier 2.1.7 boards if they wish(I personally wouldn't upgrade my live boards to anything less than 2.2 Final to avioid bugs , etc) :cool:

Just my 2c's ;)

Archived