Public beta of 2.2 zend encoded?

Guest Pⅇter

In the end it won't really matter. We hope the first public beta will be very short.

As you can probably tell from the lack of major issues - we have been testing this internally for some time.

I guess having a private testing period has more advantages than disadvantages, then. Will all major versions of IPB be like this from now on?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end it won't really matter. We hope the first public beta will be very short.

As you can probably tell from the lack of major issues - we have been testing this internally for some time.

This is very good to see as it shows IPS is improving on its practices and is achieving a very high level of quality. :)

One question. Will we be able to update skins with the zend version or wait?

I would wait on the final release version from expierance through the beta stages of previous releases.

Beta means beta not final. Who knows what gremlins are lurking under the surface which might or might not require template etc changes.

• Management

Having the security audit can't hurt, either. :rolleyes:

For those of you that do not know what he is referring to:

We contracted a professional firm to do a line-by-line audit of our source code to ensure we have implemented every known type of security system available. That audit is complete and the results already implemented in version 2.2 beta.

For those of you that do not know what he is referring to:

We contracted a professional firm to do a line-by-line audit of our source code to ensure we have implemented every known type of security system available. That audit is complete and the results already implemented in version 2.2 beta.

Is the audit going to take place for every minor 2.2.x release, or only for major version updates, like 2.3 or 3.0?

• Management

Is the audit going to take place for every minor 2.2.

x

release, or only for major version updates, like 2.3 or 3.0?

That's a development question - really depends on what is changed. Usually like a 2.1.x is just a patch so probably would not need to be audited. I would say major points like a 2.2 to a 2.3 or 3.0 would get an audit of changed files.

That's a development question - really depends on what is changed. Usually like a 2.1.x is just a patch so probably would not need to be audited. I would say major points like a 2.2 to a 2.3 or 3.0 would get an audit of changed files.

Also, how much of a delay would be caused by this audit? About a day or so?

• Management

I guess having a private testing period has more advantages than disadvantages, then. Will all major versions of IPB be like this from now on?

Yes, we've put in place a whole plethora of Quality Assurance procedures and practices to ensure that a product is as stable as it can get before it reaches the masses. All future versions of any of our products will undergo the same scrutiny, of course. :)

Also, how much of a delay would be caused by this audit? About a day or so?

The short answer is: as long as it takes -- security and stability take precedence over getting it out as quick as possible. That said, we intend on providing the firm with difference reports to speed along the process, so it shouldn't hold things back by much.

Yes, we've put in place a whole plethora of Quality Assurance procedures and practices to ensure that a product is as stable as it can get before it reaches the masses. All future versions of any of our products will undergo the same scrutiny, of course. :)

The short answer is: as long as it takes -- security and stability take precedence over getting it out as quick as possible. That said, we intend on providing the firm with difference reports to speed along the process, so it shouldn't hold things back by much.

Well, this is all good to hear. I remember when 2.1.0 came out, 2.1.1 followed a day later, fixing all the bugs discovered. This is only Beta 2, and, short of a few cross-browser issues, seems quite stable already. (w00t)

do you mean British time? Or other country times? I'm in the states, where I live it's about 6 hours behind England. I don't know when night-sets in for other countries . . . Also will the beta be downloadable for the entire week, or just a day?

Interesting ?: When you (IPS news actually) says

evening

I would dislike having to go to school, get to 4th peirod, come to the forum, see that the beta can be downloaded, go-back-home (after what I do after school) and I can't download it.

Have to think of everyone!

Archived