Why the sexist language in IPB?

Guest AChick

• Management

I'll stick in an admin option.

"Sense of humour?" with a "Yes / No" radiobutton. IPB 2.2 now sends out the following email:

Hello,

You have received this email because a new user has registered!

<#MEMBER_NAME#> completed their registration on <#DATE#>

You can turn off user notification in the Admin Control Panel

Have a super day!

It is our aim to have IPB 3.0 WGAG compliant, XHTML compliant, CSS 2 compliant and be Gender Neutral compliant.

The boys are getting more upset about this than the girls! :D I don't see what the big problem is with making it a little more general. Couldn't it just say Hello Admin or something? Also everyone is saying it's a funny easter egg and anyone that isn't rolling over it needs a sense of humour, to be honest anyone that finds it funny probably has a very simple sense of humour. :unsure:

Still, whatever floats your boat.

The boys are getting more upset about this than the girls! :D I don't see what the big problem is with making it a little more general. Couldn't it just say Hello Admin or something? Also everyone is saying it's a funny easter egg and anyone that isn't rolling over it needs a sense of humour, to be honest anyone that finds it funny probably has a very simple sense of humour. :unsure:

Still, whatever floats your boat.

I'd rather it say "Hello *Username*" then "Hello Admin" :P most e-mails do that anyway on the forums.

I only have a problem with CRAZY people basically attacking invisionpower as if they use this oh so important e-mail to oppress women.

I'll stick in an admin option.

"Sense of humour?" with a "Yes / No" radiobutton. IPB 2.2 now sends out the following email:

It is our aim to have IPB 3.0 WGAG compliant, XHTML compliant, CSS 2 compliant and be Gender Neutral compliant.

Don't forget to remove the sexist term(s) from the comments in your files, entity (can't say Mr. because a woman may be offended) Mecham.

I don't think anyone has "attacked" invisionpower. It's just a suggestion because that's what this forum is for, ideas for improving the board. I think giving the board more general welcomes (or at least in a woman's case, more relevant ones) is a fairly good and quite reasonable idea. Where did anyone say InvisionPower is oppressing women? That's just silly.

Like I said, it's the boys that seem to have the biggest problem with this. :lol: Perhaps you all just liked being called Sir? :D

• Management

I really don't think attacking the original poster is at all necessary. :)

IPB is a much different piece of software with a much expanded demographic than it used to be. IPB is used on sites ranging from scrapbooking and monster truck discussion to depression, terminal illnesses and on up to enterprise level support communities and more. Some take their communities and their associated roles more seriously than others, it's as simple as that.

What's more, with a gender-confusing name like "Lindy" - I certainly understand the original poster's concern and it's fair enough. ;)

Lighten up folks - it's only a suggestion. :)

Lighten up folks - it's only a suggestion. :)

As I said it's not the suggestion, and I think people will agree, it's so much how the suggestion came off. It wasn't like "Hey this should be a different way"... it was posted in a way you'd expect one of those screaming women that burn their bras and have to jump up and down about how they're a woman.

Sure I understand, you're not a sir, it should be fixed... no I don't understand how IPB needs to "get with the times" and having horrible assumptions. :P

As I said it's not the suggestion, and I think people will agree, it's so much how the suggestion came off. It wasn't like "Hey this should be a different way"... it was posted in a way you'd expect one of those screaming women that burn their bras and have to jump up and down about how they're a woman.

Sure I understand, you're not a sir, it should be fixed... no I don't understand how IPB needs to "get with the times" and having horrible assumptions. :P

:lol: :lol: Burning bras?! I think it may be you that needs to get with the times Mr Strange Will Sir. ;) :D

Archived