Admin Access To PMs

Guest lupin84

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We decided some time ago to allow PM's to be reported, and have them appear in the report manager for moderators to review. Personally I think this keeps a good balance between the privacy in member-to-member communication (even though we never describe it as 'private'), and the ability to investigate problematic PM's.

We decided some time ago to allow PM's to be reported, and have them appear in the report manager for moderators to review. Personally I think this keeps a good balance between the privacy in member-to-member communication (even though we never describe it as 'private'), and the ability to investigate problematic PM's.

AH so it will be in 3.0 now thats good to know.

Thanks.

So, Are you saying IT WILL be part of IPB3?

We have added, in 3.0, the ability to report PMs similar to how posts are reported. A copy of the content of the PM, directly from the database, is included in the report for reference (since a moderator will not be able to access your inbox). Additionally, moderators will be able to see the PM itself through the system.

We are toying with some other ideas which may address some of these concerns as well, but it is unlikely (at this time at least) that 3.0 will get a full-fledged PM viewing tool.

I hope this helps clarify.

Just going off what rikki said that messages aren't actually private and the phase PM is actually a web term but not a term inside IPB itself (afaik). Personal message is a better term and just because something is personal doesn't mean its private. If members want 100% private message then they can use email but even big email providers have the ability to view those.

The first thing i do on my forum is install deans personal message viewer mod as its a integral part of my forum and moderation and maintaining that my members are free from abuse and potential harm. When a member says they are being abused via the message system i need to make check these and verify the seriousness of these before i can take action so i think its a important part of my community, don't like it? don't use it.

Archived