Saving admin workload, nick or email login

Guest bpn

We gets loads of request from users who have forgotten their nick, and it's time consuming to go via ACP to search for their email address.
Why not make login procedure a choice between nick OR email address?
As it is now you have to choose between one of them.

Also, why can't you be directly logged into the forum when clicking the link in the validation mail?
Or at least arrive at a dedicated page that tells you that the validation was successful and asks you to log in.
The way it works now can be pretty confusing. I know because I get all the emails from people who think that their validation was unsuccessful... :unsure:

When you validate it tells you it was succesful and redirects you to the login form.

You can choose between email or nick, but IPB won't know which is which if we don't make it use one or the other..someone could register a nickname the same as an email address used, and then IPB would not know if you meant to login by email or nickname.

Actually... What would make more sense is to log the person in when they register, whether validated or not, and display a message at the top of the board explaining they need to validate and to check their email. And if they havent recieved the email to either click "resend" or contact and admin for assitance.

Im going to be changing that on my board myself...

When you validate it tells you it was succesful and redirects you to the login form.

We don't get that.
Look here, this is the page I get after clicking the validation link. (Using 2.1.5 default skin and English language)
Could it be because we have set 'Remove 'Thanks....' redirect pages?'..? (I've never understood the use for that, maybe before now....)

Another thing on same subject. Why are users in the validating group allowed to log in, this is also very confusing to people.
We had to make a permission mask dedicated to this group with a forum that only contains a forumdescription telling them what to do...

You can choose between email or nick, but IPB won't know which is which if we don't make it use one or the other..someone could register a nickname the same as an email address used, and then IPB would not know if you meant to login by email or nickname.

Can't you just have two login fields, one for nick and one for email. And let the user decide what to use?

There's a lot of possibilities when making software - the most important thing is to make it as usable as possible.

It would be a bit cumbersome to have both fields I think. If there were a change to be made, I think it would be to have a drop down menu so the user can specify which they are filling in, but I'm up in the air on that suggestion. Personally I could see it being more confusing myself.

ould it be because we have set 'Remove 'Thanks....' redirect pages?'..? (I've never understood the use for that, maybe before now....)

Yes, that would case it.

Why are users in the validating group allowed to log in, this is also very confusing to people.

They are still members - they are just in the process of validating their membership. One good reason, for example, is to allow them to resend their validation email. Another reason might be if the admin uses admin verification of accounts (instead of just email verification), it can allow those who are waiting to pose a question or ask the admin to hurry up, etc (if the admin allows validating members to post somewhere, that is).

• 8 months later...

Rel. 2.2 goes part of the way by introducing the choice of either username OR adress when using "Forgotten password".

Since I started this thread we changed to email login which drastically reduced the amount of user requests since it is easier to remember address than username.

But the 2.2 enhancement doesn't wok both ways, if you use email login the only option during "Forgotten password" is address. I hope it will be changed to username OR email address... :))

Actually... What would make more sense is to log the person in when they register, whether validated or not, and display a message at the top of the board explaining they need to validate and to check their email. And if they havent recieved the email to either click "resend" or contact and admin for assitance.

Im going to be changing that on my board myself...

good idea. :thumbsup:

Users might have used an obscure email address, forwarded to their normal address, when registering. Then they forget it.
Also, 2.2 has a new functionality that gives a user in the validating group UCP access to change email address.
Failure to receive validating email is often caused by mistyped address. Having the user name as an alternative during logon would make it easier for the users to sort out the problem by themselves.

I would see it as an improvement is you always had the choice between username and address.

BTW: Has mobile phone (SMS) validation been considered?

Users might have used an obscure email address, forwarded to their normal address, when registering. Then they forget it.

Also, 2.2 has a new functionality that gives a user i the validating group UCP access to change email address.

Failure to receive validating email is often caused by mistyped address. Having the user name as an alternative during logon would make it easier for the users to sort out the problem by themselves.

I would see it as an improvement is you always had the choice between username and address.

BTW: Has mobile number validation been considered?

Wouldn't Mobile Validation require the site to do some complex stuff to connect it to the phone network?

Archived