Bug - club event visible for non members

This topic: 

After some back and forth about permissions and visibility, it has been identified that a member who has not joined a club can see a club event on the board, both in the club and on the main event page.

if this premise is true:

If you have a club that you have to join but did not join it then you will not be able to see the events - anywhere. (That is, those events will NOT appear in your normal calendars.)

Then there is a bug because this should not be happening.

Could you please provide an example of the Club URL and member's display name or ID? We can then review your permissions and investigate what is happening.

Keep in mind that unless a club is Private, users will be able to see items within the club itself, even if they are not a member.

1 minute ago, TracyIsland said:

But the crux of the matter is whether the event, created by the club, would be visible on the main events page?  Is that not a bug?

Your home page is an all activity stream so yes, it would be visible.

If you configured Clubs to appear there, that would be valid and not a bug. 

You will want to check ACP -> Community -> Clubs -> Settings -> Show Club Content Areas. If you don't want those showing up through the community, you would want to set it to "Only within Clubs"

Posted (edited)

Here is a printscreen from my ACP that shows "Only within clubs" and yet the issue still exists.

Could contain: Page, Text

Note: we use the term 'Groups' for the Clubs application. That is just semantics.

Edited by TracyIsland

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

This seems to be an issue with the Upcoming Events block configuration when selecting "All" calendars, rather than the Events page itself. You can select an individual calendar if you wish to and that should resolve it for now. I have reported this internally to be reviewed by our developers.

Posted (edited)

Hi -

I edited the upcoming events block to just one calendar.  The issue did not resolve for the events page itself.  You can still see the group event created for July in the Events calendar.  Yes, the upcoming events block no longer shows the event but not the Event application itself. 

I checked the group (club for you) and the event is still visible for the member who has not joined that club.

I removed the upcoming events block altogether as a test and it still shows the event. 

Edited by TracyIsland

2 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

Hi -

I edited the upcoming events block to just one calendar.  The issue did not resolve for the events page itself.  You can still see the group event created for July in the Events calendar.  Yes, the upcoming events block no longer shows the event but not the Event application itself. 

I checked the group (club for you) and the event is still visible for the member who has not joined that club.

It will indeed be visible to the user in the Club. This is working correctly.

The only thing working incorrectly is the block.

Are you sure?  I think we are talking about two different things.

1. a member who does not belong to the club can see the event in the club

2. a member who does not belong to the club can see the event in the main event page - see print screen below:

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text

For item #2 - shouldn't the club event NOT be visible on the main events page for a member who has not joined that club?

1. a member who does not belong to the club can see the event in the club

The Club is not of the Private type so this is indeed correct.

2. a member who does not belong to the club can see the event in the main event page - see print screen below:

This is the block and has been reported.

Hi,

I'm just adding my comment as (1) I was involved in the discussion in another thread and (2) Brian sent me a PM about the issue.

As I understand it forums and events are inconsistent with respect to the club setting of "Show Club Content Areas = Only Within Clubs"

Take a non-Private club (e.g. an Open club) of which you are NOT a member with the setting as: "Show Club Content Areas = Throughout the Community"

1. https://<sitename>/forums shows all forums including those in the open club - as you would expect
  2. https://<sitename>/events shows all calendars including those in the open club - as you would expect

Now change the setting to "Show Club Content Areas = Only Within Clubs"

1. https://<sitename>/forums shows all forums EXCEPT those in clubs - as you would expect
  2. https://<sitename>/events shows all forums INCLUDING those in clubs - NOT what I and some others would expect

If we now play word games we note that under the adminCP setting it states "Content areas are the forums, categories, etc..." so it is explicit that forums will obey the setting but it is not explicit that events/calendars will obey the setting. Does that make it a "bug" or an (unexpected) "feature" 😉

John

I am also seeing this issue.

Create an event in the Club and it shows up on the Community Calendar even for non-club members.

Private clubs.

Show Club Content Areas "Only within Clubs" is selected.

12 hours ago, Stephen Buyze said:

I am also seeing this issue.

As mentioned by my colleague, this has been reported internally and will be reviewed 🙂