Notification for following disappear after upgrade

I have recently upgraded from 4.6 to 4.17 and some of my members are reporting they no longer receive notifications for topics and users they are following. Unfortunately, it seems that the problem is not easily reproducible, for some topics it works, for others it doesn't, some users do not appear to have the issue, others are more affected. 

They mentioned that it used to be sporadic even before the upgrade, but now after the upgrade it is much more noticeable. 

I know this is pretty vague, but any idea what might be wrong, is it server side or client side?

Are these email notifications? If so, have you confirmed that emails are going out without issue in ACP -> System -> Email Settings? Additionally, are the users online when the new content is posted? If so, no notification will be dispatched.

Could you please provide an example of a member who is having issues with this and what they are expecting to receive notifications for?

25 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Are these email notifications? If so, have you confirmed that emails are going out without issue in ACP -> System -> Email Settings? Additionally, are the users online when the new content is posted? If so, no notification will be dispatched.

Could you please provide an example of a member who is having issues with this and what they are expecting to receive notifications for?

Inline notifications, not emails, online status does not matter - there is no notification even after the user returns after a while. I do have an example of our largest, most active topic, the user says she is subscribed to it, but no inline notifications arrive. Shall I share the specifics, together with ACP access if it is going to help?

1 minute ago, jair101 said:

Shall I share the specifics, together with ACP access if it is going to help?

Please do. We'll take a look to ensure that their settings are correct and are following the topic. You can share this information in the Access Details notes if you do not wish to post here publicly. Instructions below:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

• 1 month later...

Not really.  😞

What I know:

1.) mentions and quotes quite randomly for different users are not in the list of notifications

2.) I tried with 2,3 test users and did not have issues 

Only culprit for me are installed Ubuntu updates couple days ago. 🤨

Unfortunately I do not know which part of technology stack is used for that feature.

Edited by bags_ppp