Copy and paste not working in topic editor

Some iPhone users are complaining that copying text and pasting into the topic editor does not work, but pasting in other areas of the site like the search bar does.  

They have cleared their website data and verified they are running the latest iOS. Many iPhone users do not have this issue.  

Any ideas?

44 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

They have cleared their website data and verified they are running the latest iOS. Many iPhone users do not have this issue.  

Ask them what iPhone keyboard they use. I have users who experience the same issues if their keyboard is different from the default one.

I'm still waiting for more info, but one person is saying this happens on both his iPad and his iPhone and it only happens when he is posting a link copied from the address bar of Safari into the Topic editor.  If he posts plain text copied from somewhere, that works fine.  He says this does not happen on other sites and he can post the link elsewhere.

So two users, both with iPhones (and one also with an iPad) describes the exact same behavior.  They can copy and paste text, but not links.  I don't think it's a theme issue, as there are many iPhone users (myself included) who do not have this issue.  If anything I would say it's isolated to their devices but have no idea what would cause that behavior.

Posted (edited)

One user confirmed no browser add-ons running or ad blockers or anything other than a "stock" iPhone.  Also verified they are running the latest iOS 17.5.1

Edited by Clover13

Is this all coming from a Safari browser and copying a URL? If so, this may be a Safari issue. Have they tried copying/pasting the same URL elsewhere?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jim M said:

Is this all coming from a Safari browser and copying a URL? If so, this may be a Safari issue. Have they tried copying/pasting the same URL elsewhere?

Yes, they can copy and paste the url in other places or other sites, and even on the my (IPS) site in the search bar.  They just can't post it in the CKEditor.  It's very strange given the majority of iPhone users have no issue whatsoever doing the exact same thing, yet a small subset of users (2-3 I know of) have the issue.

FWIW I am also running the latest iOS 17.5.1, which includes the latest Safari and have no issues copying and pasting URLs

Edited by Clover13

Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this either. I know iOS has lately added privacy controls on allowing an app from copy/pasting. This has led some apps to not clearing display the "Paste" option in text areas and I have to click a blank space for the permission approval dialog box to pop up. If we can get iOS version and a screenshot of what they're seeing, that may help finalize if this is something we can fix or it's beyond our control.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this either. I know iOS has lately added privacy controls on allowing an app from copy/pasting. This has led some apps to not clearing display the "Paste" option in text areas and I have to click a blank space for the permission approval dialog box to pop up. If we can get iOS version and a screenshot of what they're seeing, that may help finalize if this is something we can fix or it's beyond our control.

Screenshot looks OK

Could contain: Page, Text, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Is this yours or you got from a user?

That is from the user having the problem.   The other one sees and experiences the same exact behavior.

Edited by Clover13

41 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Interesting. Have you compiled which versions of iOS they are using and ensured all have used Safari?

Yes, they are using the latest iOS 17.5.1 which also includes the latest Safari and they are testing with Safari.

I have marked this to a developer to see if they have any suggestions. However, it is not something I have immediate suggestions for due to this is not something we are able to actively reproduce. Last thing would be to ensure they have everything updated on their phone in case something is causing issues and accepting all cookies on your community.

Posted (edited)

Just some more info.  Users tested under a Private Safari tab and same behavior.  Also tested under default theme and same behavior. The issue applies to both Topic and PMs so it's tied to CKEditor in some way.  

Edited by Clover13

On 6/3/2024 at 8:12 AM, Clover13 said:

They can copy and paste text, but not links.

Have you tried pasting the same URL as the users experiencing the issue, ideally using a test account that has the same groups/permissions? We do some very light processing on pasted URLs to automatically convert them into links or, when applicable, trigger an embed or attachment upload. If a JS error is thrown, or the embed validation somehow returns an empty embed it could cause this, though unfortunately without being able to reproduce there isn't much we can do.

It's also possible a third party IC App or CKEditor Plugin could be interfering.

51 minutes ago, Matt Finger said:

Have you tried pasting the same URL as the users experiencing the issue, ideally using a test account that has the same groups/permissions? We do some very light processing on pasted URLs to automatically convert them into links or, when applicable, trigger an embed or attachment upload. If a JS error is thrown, or the embed validation somehow returns an empty embed it could cause this, though unfortunately without being able to reproduce there isn't much we can do.

It's also possible a third party IC App or CKEditor Plugin could be interfering.

Two of the affected users said it happens with every URL they try.

Given the majority of Apple product users have no issues on the site, I would think that eliminates the site software or third party IC apps or a CKEditor plugin.  It has to be something specific with these two users' devices but I don't know what it could be.  They've cleared website data, restarted their phones, etc.  Only other thing I can think of is a corrupt Safari install?

1 hour ago, Clover13 said:

Given the majority of Apple product users have no issues on the site, I would think that eliminates the site software or third party IC apps or a CKEditor plugin.  It has to be something specific with these two users' devices but I don't know what it could be.

I concur. Again, if this can be reproduced let us know so hopefully we can sort it out but otherwise unfortunately there isn't anything we can do.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

Have them try a different device (tablet, etc). Does it still happen for them?  Are they using a very old version of iOS (non supported version)?  It could be a VPN or other software running on the device as well. 

For one user, it happens on both his iPad and his iPhone.  For the other on his iPhone but not on his desktop.  Latest iOS for both users.

Edited by Clover13

1 hour ago, Claudia999 said:

I can confirm the issue by myself. I have an iPhone 13 with latest iOS. On iPad I can paste the URL, but not on iPhone. It‘s in Safari the same issue as in Firefox (on iPhone).

On your iPhone does copy and paste work to other sites but just not IPS/IC sites?

50 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

On your iPhone does copy and paste work to other sites but just not IPS/IC sites?

Copy & Paste of URLs works on iPhone to other sites but not to IC sites. Tried here, on our site and in my test board (and of course on sites without IC).