Support for Better Text Editor- Lexical (Open Source)

Hi Kudos to IPB Team they have added tiptap as new editor for IPB5 it looks amazing. But it would be really great if team could also add support for Lexical Editor so admin could choose between tiptap and Lexical for their communities 

Here is Playground Demo Link

https://playground.lexical.dev/

Here some noticeable feature about Lexical Editor:

1. MIT License (Developed by Facebook Core React Team)

2. Its headless and built-in excalidraw 

3. Lets you convert the html content into JSON and vice versa.

4. React 18+ support. Lexical is very minimal. it's closer to an API for a virtual DOM around content-editable than it is to a text editor framework. That's pretty low-level

5. Lexical is 22KB gzip. The rest is shipped as plugins that users can seamless plug and play (as they're as independent from the rest, including the real-time collaboration plugin) and you only pay the cost of what you need 

and many more out of box !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is Short Video Demo Link
    https://i.imgur.com/kCPmiBd.mp4

Please submit your comments and Likes so this feature get enough votes to be added 🙂

Thanks
    Dia ^_^

Not to discount your request, but this is likely highly unlikely to happen. Changing editors much less building the capability to support multiple editors is a HUGE undertaking and touches nearly every part of the suite. 

It was nearly 6 months of development effort so far to replace ckeditor 4 and is not fully done yet. So just dropping in another random editor just because it might be cool to have two most likely is not in the cards anytime soon.  If this is important for you, it might be better to engage a 3rd party resource developer. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Not to discount your request, but this is likely highly unlikely to happen. Changing editors much less building the capability to support multiple editors is a HUGE undertaking and touches nearly every part of the suite. 

It was nearly 6 months of development effort so far to replace ckeditor 4 and is not fully done yet. So just dropping in another random editor just because it might be cool to have two most likely is not in the cards anytime soon.  If this is important for you, it might be better to engage a 3rd party resource developer. 

It is Obvious for Future Consideration. IPB Team will not able to deliver TOP Notch Forum Software what we see today if they were afraid of features developments in past. Moreover it is close to framework that team already familiar with, So it won't take too long to implement. Most of heavy lifting is already done by Facebook lexical team, It is Standard Development Practice to ditch current and old ones for better ones   !!

Edited by Dia Mond

I can say supporting multiple editor frameworks is not something we're likely to consider. Editors today are not copy/paste bundles, and there is a lot of stuff we built on top of the core frameworks.

Thousands of lines of code which use the Tiptap and Prosemirror APIs would need to be translated, then all the edge cases would need to be sorted out. After migrating from CKEditor4 to CKEditor5, then from CKEditor5 to Tiptap, I can definitively say from experience that is a lot of work, and there are always differences in how features are actually implemented. And that's not even covering extensions which would be a pain to make compatible.

This is why sticking to one editor is the way to go to provide you and all our customers top notch features. We won't lose days, or potentially even weeks, going back and forth to double implement and test features as they come out, and can guarantee things will "work".

As a side note, I actually do remember Lexical from when we initially compared editors. We didn't find it to be a great option because it's very new: they are still only on version 0.15.0.

Also, not too long before Lexical came out, Facebook first created Draft.js, then abandoned it when it was only a couple years old before version 1 ever came out. In fact, I think a lot of the docs that are now available for Lexical didn't even exist 6 months back.

Posted (edited)

@Matt Finger Thanks for your inputs, I totally agree what you mentioned above, Here My Two Cents:

Only problem with Tiptap is, As they are very small startup as compared to Billion Dollars Facebook. They just recently raised some seed round and they have been surviving by selling Licenses for PRO Features which are freely available in other Text Editors. Sooner or Later there will be less updates for Free Version to push the users to buy premium licenses which will be not good for long term sustainability of IPB Development & IPB Based Communities.

it is true Facebook killed Draft.js ( But Lots of Startups Shut Down Too)
Lexical Now is what Draft.js wanted to be. Lots of developments going on with Lexical right now. Moreover Facebook has very good track records as compared to others to develop Open Source Projects which have been become industry standards.
Thanks!!

Edited by Dia Mond

• Management
10 hours ago, Dia Mond said:

As they are very small startup as compared to Billion Dollars Facebook

All the more reason to support Tiptap in my opinion. We have paid for a pro license and support. We can speak to their dev team in Slack, which has been very helpful. As Matt mentioned, we looked at Lexical but it's very early on in its development and we didn't want to build a castle on shifting sands.

Tiptap is built on ProseMirror, which is a very well tested and robust project.