Does Same Content of Page Database & its equivalent Forum Topic Negatively Effecting SEO of Website

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys as page database could has its equivalent forum topic with different URL as Follows

Page Database: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community/invision-community-4-pages-databases-in-clubs-r1298/

Equivalent Forum Topic:  https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/477347-invision-community-4-pages-databases-in-clubs/

And Search Engines consider both of them as separate entities or pages . Doesn't it mean same content on both pages ( Page Database and its Equivalent Forum Topic)  Negatively Effecting the SEO of Website  ?

8a9uzg.jpg

Looking Forward for Kind Guidance 
Thanks Dia

Edited by Dia Mond

• Solution

It actually depends. If they are indeed separate items (posted individually) then of course they would be treated differently. If it's a topic posted from pages, then it actually posts a snippet on the topic to the full pages entry. In that respect its really no different to having a snippet and a link on any other page.

Its worth noting, you should really test this on your trial. Our news pages are really quite customised here, so you may be looking at an example that isnt really representative

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If it's a topic posted from pages, then it actually posts a snippet on the topic to the full pages entry.

This should be configured by the user. By default, the full content is copied into the topic, not only a snippet. To have only a snippet, the following steps must be done:

1. Exclude content field from posting in the topic
  2. Create another field "snippet" or "summary"
  3. Configure this another field to be posted into the topic

@Dia Mond to avoid duplicate content, you should not allow and synchronize comments for the record to the public forums. With default settings and without tweaking, your topic will be a full copy of the record page with comments. 

This is a dilemma, I have every time when I create a new database and would like to have records to be discussed in topics. 😒

Edited by Sonya*

3 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

This should be configured by the user. By default, the full content is copied into the topic, not only a snippet. To have only a snippet, the following steps must be done:

1. Exclude content field from posting in the topic
  2. Create another field "snippet" or "summary"
  3. Configure this another field to be posted into the topic

@Dia Mond to avoid duplicate content, you should not allow and synchronize comments for the record to the public forums. With default settings and without tweaking, your topic will be a full copy of the record page with comments. 

This is a dilemma, I have every time when I create a new database and would like to have records to be discussed in topics. 😒

Feel free to post that up in the feedback forum if you wish to see change 🙂 

On 5/14/2024 at 12:33 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

It actually depends. If they are indeed separate items (posted individually) then of course they would be treated differently. If it's a topic posted from pages, then it actually posts a snippet on the topic to the full pages entry. In that respect its really no different to having a snippet and a link on any other page.

Its worth noting, you should really test this on your trial. Our news pages are really quite customised here, so you may be looking at an example that isnt really representative

Hi @Marc Stridgen Thank you so much for your answer. Currently i am testing IPB So far its far ahead from other forum solutions i have been using. Totally superb work for you guys 🙂 
Regarding Pages i am not able to get chance to play with them i am getting following message in red box. Is that normal for customers those are trialing  ?? Any chance i get my hands on pages ??

FurDCj.jpg

Thanks Dia

1 hour ago, Dia Mond said:

Hi @Marc Stridgen Thank you so much for your answer. Currently i am testing IPB So far its far ahead from other forum solutions i have been using. Totally superb work for you guys 🙂 
Regarding Pages i am not able to get chance to play with them i am getting following message in red box. Is that normal for customers those are trialing  ?? Any chance i get my hands on pages ??

FurDCj.jpg

Thanks Dia

That should be corrected now for you.