Memory use issues with host

Go to solution Solved by teraßyte,

I'm trying to get a less expensive package from the company hosting my website (which is essentially just a forum). They are telling me it uses 1.1GB and I need to get it under 500MB to get the different hosting package.

Does this seem to be about right? The forum is about 20 years old and I've deleted many older posts that had few responses but I'm hesitant to delete more unless I'm sure it will get me under that 500MB threshold. So far my deletions haven't seemed to lower the memory usage very much at all. Are there any ways to get the memory it takes up down significantly?

Is there a way to look at my dashboard to see which files are taking up the most memory?

• Solution

I think 500 MB is a pretty small hosting package nowadays. Even the cheapest option on the hosting I use has 10 GB for $2.24 /month. 😮

Rather than deleting files, which might break old posts that require those files, have you considered changing hosting? 🙄

21 hours ago, teraßyte said:

I think 500 MB is a pretty small hosting package nowadays. Even the cheapest option on the hosting I use has 10 GB for $2.24 /month. 😮

Rather than deleting files, which might break old posts that require those files, have you considered changing hosting? 🙄

I'm using Hostpapa. What are some better ones?

Also, I'm a newb at this. Would it be a simple as having them take over hosting of my current site?

1 hour ago, Happy go Lucky said:

I'm using Hostpapa. What are some better ones?

Also, I'm a newb at this. Would it be a simple as having them take over hosting of my current site?

If the site I found using that name is correct, even their smallest plan has 100GB SSD storage. Unless you have a very old plan/account with them, and it was never upgraded to one of their newest plans, you're not being told to reduce the space used.

Maybe you should confirm better with your hosting what exactly is the issue.

As for suggestions, since IPS also provides hosting (IPS Cloud), we aren't allowed to publicly mention other hosting options as far as I know.

In case you still want to go ahead and switch hosting without using the Cloud option, send me a PM and I can at least tell you the one I'm using. But first, confirm with your hosting if the issue is indeed the space used and not something else.

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

One thing to consider as well...  maybe they're referring to "memory" as RAM and not as disk space usage.  This may not be a storage issue, but them saying your site has too many concurrent users (guests and real).  

Exactly this. I meant to add a mention about the RAM when I said to confirm what the hosting is asking, but forgot to. 😅

Edited by teraßyte