"Rebuild synchronized topic content" - doesn't work

I know I messed up because of the mass move/delete bug. I did a database restore, but I wasn't able to bring everything back.

I know the comments themselves are gone, but I'd like to at least recreate the forum threads where they would reside.

Content -> Databases -> [database name] -> Forums tab suggests that I could rebuild the topic content and it would recreate those missing threads.  It doesn't seem to work.

The category I'm most concerned about and can be used as an example is Ford:

The Articles category - https://www.cheersandgears.com/articles/news/ford/

The Forum category - https://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/forum/45-ford/

I can see the background task work through up to 100% and take about 7 minutes to complete, but none of the topics are recreated in the forum. I've run it twice.

I have to admit to being a little confused as to what it is you did there. If you did a database restore, it would have brought everything back. I would advise looking at that database restore first of all, as if you are missing something, there is no telling what else you might be missing

19 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Content -> Databases -> [database name] -> Forums tab suggests that I could rebuild the topic content and it would recreate those missing threads.  It doesn't seem to work.

The blurb is:

This tool will add a background task to resychronize the content generated in the first post of a topic created by this database. It will also create topics for records if a topic does not exist.

Correct - it does suggest it will rebult the topic content.

Your reading of the second sentence, however...

It won't recreate missing topics - as far as it is concerned, as a result of a topic previously being created it now has a record of that topic's ID and the rebuild would rebuild the content IN THAT TOPIC.

Let's say you change the "topic display format" for some of the database fields...run the task, it rebuilds the content in the topic that exists already.

Let's say you don't have the setting enabled for a database...you have a load of records, you decided that you want to have topics too. You enable the setting, run the task, it builds the topics because none exist already.

But once the task is run....you have a topic ID. Delete that topic somehow...it won't be recreated.

The field that contains the topic id for a database is the "record_topicid"

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I have to admit to being a little confused as to what it is you did there. If you did a database restore, it would have brought everything back. I would advise looking at that database restore first of all, as if you are missing something, there is no telling what else you might be missing

I only have incrementals.

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Yes, you are going to have issues in that case. What Nathan is saying above is correct. If you dont have the topics, there is nothing for it to rebuild as such

Would setting that category back to store comments in the DB rather than forums at least allow people to comment again?

4 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

Would setting that category back to store comments in the DB rather than forums at least allow people to comment again?

Yes.

5 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

The field that contains the topic id for a database is the "record_topicid"

Or just set that field in the database to 0 for all your records, and run the task again (obviously, take a proper backup)

Edited by Nathan Explosion

29 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Yes.

Or just set that field in the database to 0 for all your records, and run the task again (obviously, take a proper backup)

If I set that field to 0 for all records in that category and run the task again it will recreate the topic?