User Post Missing...

Just took site online, everything seems to be running good. 

Had a issue with 2 users trying to sign up, not sure if user error or not.. Like I said 2 out of 140ish in a day. I'll let this one go. 

the one that bothers me is a member posted a image and text as a new comment, the article author replied. Those 2 post seem to be missing. They are not in the database that I could or on Moderation log. Just gone. 

The members post count seems right for what is visible. 

A moderator seems to remember the reply as well, other wise I would be questioning he really replied. 

Any ideas where to start on this, bit worried of more events like this. 

Thanks,

Rich

The article, has a handful of comments. it's just missing one users comment, then the reply to that comment. So 2 comments are missing out of the 7 that are there. 

It is weird to me that all the numbers are right thou. with means the system or a moderator would have done something. But Its not anywhere I can see. Im logged in as admin. 

Just logged in as the user and did not see anything in notifications. 

Maybe everyone is crazy.... idk.. 

Without a link or information on the post, there isn't much evidence to say that it existed, I'm afraid. Would just watch it moving forward, review your third party applications/plugins to ensure they don't touch this area, ensure that only relevant moderators have permission to delete things, etc...

yeah sorry.. as im digging.. the thought to me is if there was a database problem along the way somewhere I would find a count that is off.. and im not. 

Which would lead to moderation deletion, which there is no log of that either. 

<Scratching head> I'll keep an eye on it I guess.  

Back to my user registration issues I mentioned. At least one of the users, was sent a email I see from the log for verification. That user was not in the membership list. When they reported a problem, I went a tried to pull the member record but was not there. this and the other issue makes me think something strange happened. 

33 minutes ago, Rich N said:

yeah sorry.. as im digging.. the thought to me is if there was a database problem along the way somewhere I would find a count that is off.. and im not. 

Which would lead to moderation deletion, which there is no log of that either. 

<Scratching head> I'll keep an eye on it I guess.  

Back to my user registration issues I mentioned. At least one of the users, was sent a email I see from the log for verification. That user was not in the membership list. When they reported a problem, I went a tried to pull the member record but was not there. this and the other issue makes me think something strange happened. 

Was the user deleted? Was this their post? If so, that would make sense. The user being deleted and their content removed, only a log for the user deletion would exist.

no 2 separate users. im the only admin didn't delete anything. 

I saw his email about the problem, logged in and tried to search him in members didn't find him. SO I looked at email logs and saw there was a verify email that went out to him, which would mean there should be a member for him but there wasn't. I manually created after that to resolve his issue. 

🤷‍♂️

Did they change email address and display name? Did you approve their data deletion request?

Ultimately, you have some funky things going on here. The ultimate answer may need to go to your hosting provider to see if there was a database restore by them at any point which would lead to missing data.

no delete request made by that user. 

just saying his account was locked after the email verification and couldn't login. That's when I went in and could not find him. 

we where getting a few registrations a min for a good bit on and off as our announcement hit time zones... very heavy for the first 2 days of being up. leveled off now.. 

ill keep digging as well as keeping a eye on things. 

Thanks,,

11 hours ago, Rich N said:

It is weird to me that all the numbers are right thou. with means the system or a moderator would have done something.

You are correct with this part here. If those counts are correct, it can only be one of 3 things

• The items were never there
  • The items were there, and the database has been reverted
  • Postcounts have been recounted by someone

the mystery has been solved... as suspected by evidence it was never there, haha. The user posted on another forum in reply to the same user. 🤪

Does not help explain the new user getting a email when the member record was not actually in the system thou.. but im going to overlook that unless I get another. 

Other than that new spin up is working well. We did have a member try to process payment 2x (stripe) for an order, Just went to spinning gif and stuck, it it did hit Stripe API log for Payment Methods but never got to Intents. Nothing in Invision. Hoping it's his connection, see when he tries later. 🤷‍♂️

thanks.. 

Edited by Rich N

1 hour ago, Rich N said:

Other than that new spin up is working well. We did have a member try to process payment 2x (stripe) for an order, Just went to spinning gif and stuck, it it did hit Stripe API log for Payment Methods but never got to Intents. Nothing in Invision. Hoping it's his connection, see when he tries later. 🤷‍♂️

Not sure what you mean by "never got to Intents" was that meant to read as Invision? If it never made it's way back to your community, it could be your firewall blocked Stripe's webhook request or the webhook is invalid. The log should be in Stripe if that's the case.

1 hour ago, Rich N said:

the mystery has been solved... as suspected by evidence it was never there, haha. The user posted on another forum in reply to the same user. 🤪

Glad to hear you were able to resolve that!

1 hour ago, Rich N said:

Does not help explain the new user getting a email when the member record was not actually in the system thou.. but im going to overlook that unless I get another. 

Unfortunately, the only possibilities are:

1. The user was deleted after the email was sent.
  2. The user changed their email/display name after email was sent.
  3. A backup was restored after email was sent which the user does not exist.

13 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Not sure what you mean by "never got to Intents" was that meant to read as Invision? If it never made it's way back to your community, it could be your firewall blocked Stripe's webhook request or the webhook is invalid. The log should be in Stripe if that's the case.

its been working fine, up until this user. he seemed to get it thru eventually, might have been on his side I guess. 

I was just saying it looks like in Stripe is it does a /v1/payment_methods to send to stripe which it did do with a 202 OK but it hung on the Invision side, it did not get to the next step /v1/payment_intents for some reason.. Invision maybe was waiting for to see the 202 and didn't. 

Some users including myself, randomly clicking a link on the front end, sometimes I see when I make a change in the admin settings.. on commit the site just hangs then goes to a browser "can't find the server" refresh normally loads after that. 

Im wondering if this hiccup is happening more then I know causing some of this. idk..

Might switch it over to AWS from Hostgator VPS. 

thanks for listing to my chatter haha. 

3 minutes ago, Rich N said:

Some users including myself, randomly clicking a link on the front end, sometimes I see when I make a change in the admin settings.. on commit the site just hangs then goes to a browser "can't find the server" refresh normally loads after that. 

If you're seeing this, it is likely that happened to the user but that would be something your hosting provider would need to investigate.