Question about Categories for Blog Entries

While creating a blog, it takes a category.

Why does it require a category again for creating blog-entries when the parent-blog is already inside a category? For instance, if the blog is in Cooking category, how does it make sense to select Politics category for its blog entry?

The issue is, I could not find a way to force users to use predefined categories only for blog entries (similar to blogs and tags). It is giving an option to create new categories which can get abused resulting in too many categories - not to mention, duplicate categories.

If I delete all the categories, will it still require a category for creating blog entries?

I just want users to use only existing categories for blog entries (similar to blogs and tags) or eliminate categories from blog entries (similar to articles without categories).

TIA

There are actually 2 types of category. There are categories for blogs themselves, then there are categories for entries within a blog.

Example - Lets say you run a food site and have 'recipes', 'Eating out', 'History of food' for categories. Those are categories that you, as the site owner create. Then someone starts a blog in 'History' named 'My recipes'. They create their first entry of 'How to make a decent madras' with a category of 'Indian'

7 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

There are actually 2 types of category. There are categories for blogs themselves, then there are categories for entries within a blog.

I got that. I've already read the docs on blogs. No issues with Blog categories as they are defined by the admin.

7 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Example - Lets say you run a food site and have 'recipes', 'Eating out', 'History of food' for categories. Those are categories that you, as the site owner create. Then someone starts a blog in 'History' named 'My recipes'. They create their first entry of 'How to make a decent madras' with a category of 'Indian'

For individual blogs, there are no initial categories unless the blog creator defines them for the new blog. That's fine too.

However, for group blogs, there should be a config option to lock the categories allowing users to use predefined categories. Nothing stops online anonymous users from creating several categories and even duplicate categories just to abuse/break the system. This optional control is implemented nicely in Tags, Articles and even Blogs but is somehow a shortcoming at the Blog Entries level (under group blogs). A company could create a group blog for their employees and would be ideal to predefine categories for blog entries for consistency instead of allowing employees to create categories while creating entries.

Instead of allowing users to create their own blogs, I would like to create a group blog for each category and allow users to create entries in any of these group blogs using the predefined categories (by admin) for each blog.

Where can I request this change to provide an option to allow predefined categories for group blog entries?

Edited by WebCMS