Set entire forum to use SSL on a shared server

Also just putting this out there…3.x has many known security issues. The version of PHP it’s able to run also has known issues.  Basically anything associated with it is end of life. 

This means if you run into any sort of problem, you won’t be able to get support. I would highly recommend having good backups that are tested frequently. I would also highly recommend upgrading as well. Otherwise when stuff hits the fan, you’re going to be stuck in the boat by yourself without the ability to get any sort of help. 

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Also just putting this out there…3.x has many known security issues. The version of PHP it’s able to run also has known issues.  Basically anything associated with it is end of life. 

This means if you run into any sort of problem, you won’t be able to get support. I would highly recommend having good backups that are tested frequently. I would also highly recommend upgrading as well. Otherwise when stuff hits the fan, you’re going to be stuck in the boat by yourself without the ability to get any sort of help. 

Would it be a nightmare to upgrade to the latest version? It's using MariaDB and PHP 5.

It's a big upgrade for sure.

You'll need to update the server to PHP 8, and if you use modifications, you'll need to find new ones for 4.x because the old ones aren't compatible. The theme also needs to be updated/changed.

If you're unsure or want help to be sure you're doing everything correctly, hiring a Provider that offers Upgrade Services will help a lot: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers-directory/

I've done plenty of upgrades from 3.4 myself. Your 3.3 version is slightly older, but it shouldn't be too much trouble.

It’s a big upgrade, I’m not denying that fact at all. However if/when something goes wrong, are you prepared to deal with it by yourself?  Are you able to not just troubleshoot the problem but also recover?  If not, you should be.  With the situation you are in now, it’s not if something goes wrong but instead when. 

The longer these things are left, the longer it will take to do. For example, in your current state you are on an insecure site, which is no longer supported (even for the upgrade). You will get to a point where your host will stop supporting the PHP version so you wont even be able to keep it online. The more up to date you keep your sites, the better in the long run.