Moved to new server, PHP error on upgrade.

I am in the process of moving to a new server, and upon trying to update to the newest version available the error below is displayed and prevents me from updating. Any thoughts as to the cause or configuration error in PHP that is throwing this error?

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: Return type of IPS\_DateTime::format($format, $memberOrLanguage = null) should either be compatible with DateTime::format(string $format): string, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice

Its a heavily neglected forum, source is on PHP 7 and the original IPB was something like 4.2.x I believe. I actually just got this error to clear on the update, but now receive this error instead after I begin the update process.

1034Incorrect key file for table 'ipb_core_modules_new'; try to repair it
/home/accountname/public_html/applications/core/sources/Setup/Upgrade.php::767
CREATE TABLE `ipb_core_modules_new` LIKE `ipb_core_modules`;

When I attempt to repair it it throws another "Incorrect key file for table 'ipb_core_modules_new'; try to repair it" error.

Edited by Garrett J

That error sounds like the database import didn't work properly.

If the new server has PHP 7, I'd first try to restore the current forum without upgrading in order to double-check everything is working as before. Once you confirm all is fine, upload the 4.7.13 files, switch to PHP 8, and run the upgrade script.

Even attempting a fresh install on the server with no existing database or anything yields this error.

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: Return type of IPS\_DateTime::format($format, $memberOrLanguage = null) should either be compatible with DateTime::format(string $format): string, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice

7 hours ago, Miss_B said:

Are you on a shared plan or do you manage your own Vps/Dedicated box?

Its a managed box out of liquid web. That is why its odd that I am having issues as I have used them before without problems. I actually managed to get the site up and am progressing now. Converting everything over to InnoDB. We shall see when the next update is available if I run into the same issues, but as of now everything appears to be functioning as intended.

• 3 months later...
On 10/6/2023 at 5:08 PM, Garrett J said:

Its a managed box out of liquid web. That is why its odd that I am having issues as I have used them before without problems. I actually managed to get the site up and am progressing now. Converting everything over to InnoDB. We shall see when the next update is available if I run into the same issues, but as of now everything appears to be functioning as intended.

What did you do to fix the issue? I'm seeing the same error and I'm scratching my head here.