Remove all attachments/files from a specific category?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

There isn't a tool to do what you're asking. You could move the files to a storage option in another folder and delete them, but it would leave broken links in the area you deleted the files from.

Β 

It would require some custom modification to delete the files and update the places they're used in. Why do you need to remove those files, exactly? Depending on what you're trying to do, there might be another way.

1 hour ago, teraßyte said:

There isn't a tool to do what you're asking. You could move the files to a storage option in another folder and delete them, but it would leave broken links in the area you deleted the files from.

😞 that's what I am trying to avoid. I was hoping there'd be some sort of cleanup tool

1 hour ago, teraßyte said:

Why do you need to remove those files, exactly? Depending on what you're trying to do, there might be another way.

I reside in Germany. The community has been going since 1999 (ikonboard). While it was ok at the time to post images from third parties, like photos of celebrities, today this results in constant letters from lawyers claiming decade long license fees for those photographs.

I simply cannot take this anymore as my community is simply a star trek fan site that does not even generate any income.Β 

I need to get rid of all old images and other possibly copyright protected stuff that was posted years ago. This also includes avatar images since at least according to German law Copyright and the right for compensation even applies there.

My heart is breaking since this basically destroys a sort of legacy I and other fans of Trek spent decades building.

There rea no means to remove all attachments in this manner, for good reason, as I can imagine someone accidentally/unknowingly/maliciously clicking that and all panic set forthΒ πŸ™‚Β .Β  It would take some sort of customization if you wish to remove the files and their references in the content.

13 minutes ago, Jim M said:

There rea no means to remove all attachments in this manner, for good reason, as I can imagine someone accidentally/unknowingly/maliciously clicking that and all panic set forthΒ 

πŸ˜„Β that would be indeed very unfortunate if not done intentionally.Β 

Is there still the set of cleanup tools previous version of IPB had to find deprecated links/content/usw and remove those references? I currently plan am forced to delete basically the entire attachments and cmsrecords upload locations.

• Solution
1 minute ago, DReffects2 said:

πŸ˜„Β that would be indeed very unfortunate if not done intentionally.Β 

Is there still the set of cleanup tools previous version of IPB had to find deprecated links/content/usw and remove those references? I currently plan am forced to delete basically the entire attachments and cmsrecords upload locations.

There are no cleanup tools really since version 3. Version 4 just hasn't had the need. When content gets deleted, the attachment(s) associated to it get deleted.