Subscriptions aren't creating a new invoice?

I'm noticing something strange but only because a member nudged me to let me know their subscription had expired.

There should be an invoice automatically generated, as all our subscriptions don't have an end date. But there is no invoice been generated?? Am I missing something completely obvious or do we have a bug here??

I just need to know if I need to do something at all on a regular basis now as I'm worried that other regular ones will just stop but not because anyone has stopped them.

Thanks in advance

image.thumb.png.3f0c1bde5c94cfda7551abf680406fc0.png

4 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

You're using PayPal subscriptions, the invoice will be created when PayPal charges the customer.

Thanks Stuart, however are you saying that PayPal had the issue? Because the member has not received anything from them, it literally expired without doing anything. Obviously Invision sends the request to them to tell them thats its an ongoing one and nothing else should stop it.

He had a 'Reactivate' button alongside suspend and cancel on our website, however clearly he said he's not touched anything and likewise our end. I know on mine, it creates an invoice everytime a payment is coming soon on Invision and then Paypal continues to take it which then tells Invision that the invoice is paid.

I'm really not sure what next steps I can do now, as his PayPal is still active but there is no call for a payment?

Yes it's completely possible for PayPal to be late collecting a payment. I believe we allow up to 10 days for PayPal to let us know.

PayPal subscriptions work differently to other recurring payment methods, PayPal is in charge of collecting the payment according to their schedule, we cannot ask them to "charge today".

Appreciate the quick reply. If you look at the above screenshot however, the subscription expires 1st July, the last payment was 29th May therefore there is no payment been requested for June within 10 days at all. Now in theory its 2 payments behind.

I know PayPal is working correctly on my account as I have one set up in case there are issues but mine takes every month without fail.

I'm not sure how I can actually recoup that back.

Is there anything linked to the 'Renew' system with this? For instance, do they have to physically accept a renewal? I don't recall that I had to do that but would this stop it? There has to be a reason for people just expiring and not taking payments for over a month somewhere along the line.

Could contain: Page, Text

Click the link through to the PayPal Subscription and see what the status of that is, you can also look it up in PayPal to see if they have any further information about why it failed.

It does happen where payments cannot be collected, PayPal will only try so many times to capture a payment (defined by the 'Automatically Suspend Subscriptions' setting in the gateway).

Thanks @Stuart Silvester. I have asked him to check if anything is showing at his end to help with this situation. I think whatever happens, Idon't think its all tallying up still unfortunately because if they couldn't take it, thats now been nearly 2 months, therefore you'd expect the PayPal link to break and saying its inactive which it doesn't.

I had someone cancel their subscription at PayPal some weeks ago and that one doesn't have a PayPal Subscription link so that it shows inconsistent behaviour in a few subscription plans i'm afraid.

He wants to get it going again, so what can i physically do to get this one back up and running again so its taking each month like usual?

@Stuart Silvester I'm running into a very similar issue with PayPal subscriptions... In IPS PayPal subs do not appear to be getting cancelled completely.  Something isn't quite working.... User shows sub canceled, PayPal shows sub canceled, but IPS thinks that it's still active and will not let members upgrade/downgrade. 

In this example; I have a member that wants to upgrade to a higher tier.  

Could contain: Text

So they cancel the existing subscription via the link

Could contain: Accessories, Formal Wear, Tie

Subscription page shows cancelled:

image.png.7a7d16f9d507dcdad3eb552d544ba676.png

PayPal shows as cancelled as well:

Could contain: Page, Text
However, IPS still thinks they have an active subscription and will not let the user upgrade to a new higher tier. The system will not let them upgrade/downgrade if they have an active subscription.

How can we get around this?  What's the best manual way to proceed?