"application icon" just stopped working

I can only guess that this started with the last update but I am not sure. 

I have had an image set for the "application icon" since I moved to IPS 8 months ago and now suddenly it does not work. Any ideas before I go down a rabbit hole?

Below are screenshots from my Admin CP and then from my phone.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person, Face, Head, Text

Could contain: Text, Person, Leisure Activities, Sport, Swimming, Water, Water Sports, Advertisement

It’s a feature, not a bug. The forums app now finally has a native feature to set pictures from the thread as OG:Image for social media sharing. 

(By the way: default sharer image is under “Icons & Logos”. Your screenshot shows web app settings. That’s something else.)

Edited by opentype

@opentype Your help is always spot on. So how do I fix it? The image I want is under “Icons & Logos”. I do not see where to add it as you described above. 

Just to make sure we are on the same page..... I want a default image to display when a link is texted. It currently works for Facebook posts. 

The Sharer Image would be used in all instances which support Open Graph protocol. This is like Facebook, Twitter, etc... Text messaging on iOS supports Open Graph as well. Some have specific image dimension sizes which they require though so best checking with what you are wanting to display on.

@Jim M So my Open Graph "Share Image" / Icons & Logos setting has not changed. I thought the Open Graph protocol applied to my text messages also. My phone is Android. Do you think something else changed? Maybe within Android? 

Again Open Graph still works with my Facebook account but not on sms.

Or is this what @opentype was taking about?

Edited by John Horton

2 minutes ago, John Horton said:

@Jim M So my Open Graph "Share Image" / Icons & Logos setting has not changed. I thought the Open Graph protocol applied to my text messages also. My phone is Android. Do you think something else changed? Maybe within Android? 

Again Open Graph still works with my Facebook account but not on sms.

Or is this what @opentype was taking about?

Open Graph is exactly what opentype is referring to by OG:image. (OG = Open Graph)

As far as I can tell, Android SMS utilizes OG as well. 

Ok starting over.... I just noticed this issue today. It worked like a charm in the past.

here is my Icons&Logos page

Could contain: File, Text, Page

Here is how posts look on Facebook

Could contain: Summer, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, File, Plant, Tree, Vehicle, Watercraft, Person

The issue is below - Android SMS. 

Could contain: Text, Person

Ideas?

Edited by John Horton

5 minutes ago, John Horton said:

Ideas?

As already said, it’s supposed to work like that now. 

Here is the release note page that mentions the new feature. 

Could contain: Text

It was a feature request for years. People didn’t want generic images for forum posts, but images specific to the content. 

Edited by opentype

12 hours ago, John Horton said:

Do I have any options on how it works or what images display?  If the above example of how it works in SMS is how it is designed I am not thrilled. 

There is no way in which to change this action, no

2 minutes ago, John Horton said:

Noticed that it is working the way I wanted again. No idea if something changed or if I am just insane. Either way.

Keep in mind sometimes, these things are completely dependent on the services you're using and how much they go by OG strictly or grab images on their own 😉 .