Upgrade Error - Incorrect String Value

Go to solution Solved by Robert Angle,

My upgrade is frozen with this on the screen....

Incorrect string value: '\xED\xA0\xBD\xED\xB8\xB4' for column 'mt_title' at row 2678

/home/MySite/public_html/applications/core/setup/upg_107600/queries.json - query #2

ALTER TABLE `ipb_core_message_topics` ADD KEY `mt_alert` (`mt_alert`)

What should I do? 

Edited by Robert Angle

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

7 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

it appears that table is the only one in your database which is not INNODB

So most of them were MyIsam, but I changed them to INNODB last night. I realized Tech Support was closed and started trying to find other topics that encountered similar issues.

However, I am unable to change 2 tables to INNODB

ALTER TABLE `ipb_core_message_topics` ENGINE = INNODB;

MySQL said: 

#1366 - Incorrect string value: '\xED\xA0\xBD\xED\xB8\xB4' for column 'mt_title' at row 2678

and

ALTER TABLE `ipb_tapatalk_push_data` ENGINE = INNODB;

MySQL said: 

#1366 - Incorrect string value: '\xED\xA0\xBD\xED\xB1\x8B...' for column 'title' at row 4284

If relevant, my conf_global.php remains unchanged with the following lines...

$INFO['mysql_tbl_type']        =    'MyISAM';
$INFO['sql_utf8mb4']         = true;

• Solution

We're back online!

I'm sharing this so that others can use it for reference.

@Marc Stridgen said in the email support ticket:

The issue here is an issue somewhere with the char set settings on the database somewhere, which is, unfortunately, an issue which is hosting side, rather than with the software itself.... We have found in the past that, while not the most elegant solution, exporting and reimporting your database, ensuring to import it using the UTF8MB4 charset has been something that some have had success with in the past.

For mysterious reasons, I was unable to change 2 tables from MYISAM to INNODB. So my VPS host created a backup of the database, made the change to the dump file and imported it. We reran the upgrade utility and everything finished successfully.

The solution was to change all tables from MYISAM to INNODB.

Edited by Robert Angle