Post Migration Redirects

Hello,

Can someone reassure me about how redirects work after we have completed migration from SMF to Invision Cloud? At a staging platform, quote headers no longer link to the original content. Nor are body links reformatted to the Invision structure, so are useless. Are these things somehow taken care of by Invision redirects? I understood that redirects are part of the migration process, but I cannot now locate what I read before.

Surely, migration would not break all quote headers and internal (body) links to posts, threads and user accounts?

Thanks.

Thanks, @Stuart Silvester That's a relief.

And what about quote headers? For migrated content, they appear to not link back to the origin post. Is that taken care of too once we have migrated to Cloud?

Oh. And does this work for user IDs too. Because, I note, old user IDs do not match new, post migration.

Edited by Como

1 hour ago, Como said:

And what about quote headers? For migrated content, they appear to not link back to the origin post. Is that taken care of too once we have migrated to Cloud?

Quote headers will not link to the original content following a conversion, that isn't something our SMF Converter has support for.

1 hour ago, Como said:

And does this work for user IDs too. Because, I note, old user IDs do not match new, post migration.

Yes, User URLs will redirect.

9 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Quote headers will not link to the original content following a conversion, that isn't something our SMF Converter has support for.

Thank you for the reply, Stuart.

Don't you think headers should link back? Quotes are not very useful if they do not properly reference the source. I am really surprised by this omission - it is a pretty basic function, and surely should form part of the redirect system.

Edited by Como

1 minute ago, Como said:

I was wondering why the data cannot retained in quote headers and the redirect system work upon them, just as they do with any other legacy internal link.

It does not work that way, unfortunately. You would ne looking at the way in which quotes are built, not anything to do with redirects. If you wanted to pursue this, you really would need someone who develops converters

23 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It does not work that way, unfortunately. You would ne looking at the way in which quotes are built, not anything to do with redirects. If you wanted to pursue this, you really would need someone who develops converters

I think I understood that. Why is the link data in headers not retained (and modified by the converter if necessary) so that the redirect system can take care of it? Or have the redirect system recognise header links and convert as they would with any other internal link?

It's OK. We are just going to around in circles. I don't possess the coding knowledge for a detailed discussion. But from layman's perspective, this seems like a gaping hole in the conversion system.

Thank you @Stuart Silvester and @Marc Stridgen

Edit:

37 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

That wouldn't be anything related to how the redirects work. They work after the conversion based on the URL.

The quotes are updated during (or immediately after) the conversion in the `fixPostData()` method.

I've just reread the above - I am not sure if I properly understand it. Are you suggesting that quote header links will work? Just looking for clarification.

Thanks.

Edited by Como