I am running out of space on my server, and it's silly expensive to keep updating to a newer server.

I have tried following the instructions here, but some of the steps seem a bit outdated.

Is setting up S2 for storage still an option?  I feel like I've done all the steps correctly, but get this error when trying to save.

There appears to be a problem with your Amazon (squarewheelsfiles) file storage settings which can cause problems with uploads.
After attempting to upload a file to the directory, the URL to the file is returning a HTTP error. Update your settings and then check and see if the problem has been resolved

@Square WheelsYou're not alone in getting the error message above.  I was able to set up and use Amazon S3 in the past using the provided instructions but last night I spent several hours trying to get it to work once again to no avail on several different sites.  The error message doesn't provide sufficient clues as to what might be amiss.

I poked around some more at Amazon and discovered that the Group and User that I had created via the how-to guide over a year ago had been deleted so of course I no longer have the requisite permissions to access any S3 buckets I created.  I can understand disabling buckets but not groups or users.

I deleted the account and will create a new one so I can start fresh.  I am not sure if the problems you are seeing are due to missing a step or if there might be some setting buried deep within Amazon AWS that needs to be configured to allow for S3 to work with the IPS suite. 

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Well, I set the endpoint back to the default of s3.amazonaws.com.

That endpoint might work "today" but I would recommend reaching out to Amazon to see if that endpoint will always work.  I would hate to have you start relying on the data being available to your users via S3 and one day that endpoint no longer works as Amazon really wanted you to point to a specific endpoint like: s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com which is what worked for me in the past.