An error occurred (500 Error)

Hello, 

My board is not working:

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

When I am trying to enter the ACP, I am getting this:

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

syntax error, unexpected '->' (T_OBJECT_OPERATOR)

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

I've made an update to the newest version 3 days ago and everything was working fine until today. 

Could you help me to solve this issue?

Edited by angle4cor

3 minutes ago, angle4cor said:

I've updated the PHP version to 8.1 and now its working. Weird, I thought 8.0 was supported.

It's funny I had the opposite thing happen the other day. I was on 8.1 and had to drop down to 8.0 to get it to work. There sure seems to be a lot of 500 Error threads lately, which all seem somewhat related to php. 🤷‍♂️

34 minutes ago, angle4cor said:

I've updated the PHP version to 8.1 and now its working. Weird, I thought 8.0 was supported.

It is supported.  A 500 error is very generic.  It's like a check engine light on your car.  It does not say what the problem is just that something went wrong.  

Part of good security is not exposing errors publicly.  This means instead of saying for example the server ran out of memory, you could get that error.  It also means you could be missing a PHP module and get that message.  There are TONS of things that could cause the problem and none of them directly related.  It's just a way of saying "uhhh it's broke".  🙂 

I have this issue after updating today; board worked on mobile but now, via desktop, it does not work. AdminCP is still accessible, though.

I tried going from PHP 8.1 to PHP 8.0, and that did not work, either.

Edited by MNOfficial

11 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Disable all your third party resources (plugins and applications). If that does not work, pull your server’s error logs (not inside of IPB… the server error logs themselves).

That worked! Does that mean those third-party resources need to be updated or re-installed to work again?

21 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

One of them is your problem. So you might try turning them on one by one till you find your problem. Once you do… you can hopefully work with the author to fix it. 

I figured out which one it was.. which unfortunately has not been updated since 2019.

• 5 months later...

I can't access my board again with the same error as descibed in the first post. I havent been installing anything new in the last few weeks and everything worked fine. It might be a no longer supported widget/app, but I can't access the admin panel either to turn these off. 

I dont have access to the server to check its error logs currently (sharing the board with someone else who I wont be able to reach within the next few weeks). I do have access to ftp though, so would it be possible to find some error logs there?

I wouldnt like to keep my board offline for the next few weeks. Is there anything I can do?

I am using the newest IPS version and PHP 8.1. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!