Pros and cons, cloud vs self hosted

Canis

This is typically agreed to in the planning phase with the implementation team. (Olivia and Marc do good work here by the way!)

For me, I took the community offline at 1:30 AM eastern time.  I used the time to export the database and download it. I also created a gzip of the entire site’s sites and downloaded it. 

I uploaded to a site provided by IPS and they started working on importing everything and getting it all converted to cloud format. It was ready for me to test around 7:30 AM and the DNS changes were made around 8:00 AM to go live. 

4 minutes ago, John Horton said:

One more question.

I was trying to move email back to GoDaddy before I moved my site to IPS cloud. GoDaddy is telling me I need to move my site and have you guys set the MX records in your DNS at the same time. 

Please advise.

That can be done. What would happen is that once the data migration is done and you have tested everything on the temporary URL, when you are happy you would change your DNS servers to point to IPS. At the same time you can give them any additional records you want created such as MX records or any A records or CNAME values for subdomains hosted elsewhere.