Editing forum posts that are duplicates of page articles

Go to solution Solved by opentype,

So for any article that I post on the site, I have a forum post created too. Some of the articles are for subscribers only, but I need everybody in the forum to be aware of them so what I've always done is after posting the article, I would edit the forum post to show only a few paragraphs and then I would add a notification about if you want to read the full artile you need to subscribe blah blah blah

Any time I made further edits to the article it would also reflect in the forum post and the entire contents would be in the post again, so sometimes I'd have to go back in and re-edit.

Since the upgrade I seem to have lost the ability to edit the forum post more than once. I can edit when it first goes live, but if I make further changes to the article in pages, it changes the forum post too as normal, only now I can't go in and edit so the full contents of the subscriber only article are now visible to all forum users.

Any idea how I can fix this so I can can edit a post more than once?

Edited by tlw1999

A much better solution would be to use the Content Field only as a preview field with your introduction text. Then use a second editor field for the actual article. That way, only the preview field would be posted to the forums and it could update automatically.

You could even take this further by using the field permissions to hide the premium content while letting everyone you choose to access the article page. Here is an example of that method: https://www.opentype.space/free-articles/phpsmtpsendgrid-do-i-need-to-use-an-external-email-service-with-invision-community-r2/ 

7 minutes ago, opentype said:

That from a Yes/No field which shows for everyone except the premium group. I have a detailed description but that is part of my own premium offers. 😉

The plug ins I've bought from you are so important to my site and the price of them is so reasonable that I have happily signed up for a year's premium membership. Plus you've been very helpful on things like this when you didn't need to so it's the least I can do 👍