Online Status

Yes' thanks for coding it so quickly.

If possible could you add these 3 options?

1. Could you add an option to have the online indicator display at the right of the user name instead of the left side

2. Could you add an option so we can change the online Dot icon to any font awesome icon by inputing the a font awesome code.

3. Could we have an extra option to have all the 3 online option to display at once, " Dot before username, Outline around userphoto, and Badge alongside post or comment dropdown menu.  I like this option and I would like all of them to display at once.

I would truly appreciate it if you could add those extra options in the future.

3 hours ago, All Astronauts said:

Specifically? I just woke up so maybe mah brain ain't great right now.

So you can add status feeds as widgets, to any page. I was referring to that. My apologies for not explaining it clearly - this is definitely my fault. But I do understand. I can't start my day without a coffee or two.

3 hours ago, All Astronauts said:

unless you are on an early version of PHP 8.1 in which case you need to upgrade to PHP 8.1.10 or better to fix things (see these forums for the topic on this)

I upgraded to 8.0.xx (I can't remember the last two numbers) but I will look up that topic. Thanks.

I'm not sure how the other one worked (Online Indicators) but judging from the mountains of template errors I got after I upgraded to PHP 8.0, I'd say that it was overriding the profile avatar wherever it was being displayed or something. I'm not really quite sure to be honest with you. I guess I was a little upset that this seems kind of limited in scope, in comparison, but hey, it works at least, and isn't throwing template errors. Which is a major plus.

Edited by Tripp★

Off of the top of my head?

• Profile Icons on the Activity Feed
  • Pretty much the Gallery
  • Club Activity and Club Members (of any given club), including the sidebar widgets
  • Pretty much every application/plugin that utilizes a certain size of thumbnail (I don't recall which exactly)

As I said if there was some way I can manually inject it into a the template of anything 3rd party myself, I'd be happy and comfortable with doing that. I wouldn't want you to out of your way just on my account, if that makes any sense. Although an added suggestion I'd have is perhaps - maybe (Although the other one didn't do this, I don't think) the followers block on the profile? But again if I could inject something into my templates, I'd be happy to do that myself.

Looking at the orig. plugin it didn't do most of that.

It did PMs (that's an easy add), but none of the other stuff you listed that I can tell. In fact, my supporting all application comment and review areas already far exceeds what the original did, unless I'm missing something.

So, what you are looking for is support on the content items themselves? Some of that is doable but it is all one at a time stuff by and large. Not only that but due to how activity stream and search results are pushed out, there would be (under the current model) loading the member objects for the members for each item to check if they are online or not (those links are not member objects but just created on the fly with basic data such as member id, member name, etc.)

I can see a somewhat universal (like, possibly everywhere) way around this though but still would need some thought. Especially if the solution to hooking everything everywhere is to just target the basic user photo and user link templates but that risks spillover in places unwanted. Not a lot of engineering at all, but it would be a sideways approach different than all the usual stuff we've done with this. Hmmm...

Shoot me a PM with some specific screenshots - I'm going to try and tackle some of the earlier requests here first, plus people are coming out of the wood work with "recreate this please!" requests due to all this old stuff going dark in a month or two (including two or three plugins that are required on a site I'm currently doing work for that I had no idea were in that pile so...)

1 minute ago, All Astronauts said:

but none of the other stuff you listed that I can tell. In fact, my supporting all application comment and review areas already far exceeds what the original did, unless I'm missing something.

I must be mistaken then, my apologies.

I know it appeared in certain 3rd party applications, where as this one doesn't. Take the friends system I linked to earlier, in the profiles and in the widget, it certainly worked there (And is where it's really missed), that system and this online system really do work hand in hand with each other.

5 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

Shoot me a PM with some specific screenshots - I'm going to try and tackle some of the earlier requests here first, plus people are coming out of the wood work with "recreate this please!" requests due to all this old stuff going dark in a month or two (including two or three plugins that are required on a site I'm currently doing work for that I had no idea were in that pile so...)

I wouldn't know what to send, to be honest. Unfortunately, I uninstalled the old application and with being upgraded to PHP8, it wasn't going to run without throwing a load of template errors anyway. I can't download and reinstall it because it says it's incompatible with my version of IPS, unless there is a work around to that. If there is; I'll happily see if I can switch back to PHP 7.4, reinstall it and go snap some screenshots.

FWIW I re-engineered this this evening. Just about, if not, every username link, and userphoto can be targeted with CSS via data attributes [data-online="online"] and [data-online="offline"]

This will allow you guys who can do CSS to do things - even more so once the :has pseudo class gets supported (this will allow you to format a parent item that has a child with x,y or z - but this will still be awhile before we see this in wide support)

Anyways, I'm going to try and add some of the requests in and then we can talk about what's possible.

Note that if the userphoto or userlinks in this new system are generated with data (userLinkFromData, userPhotoFromData templates specifically) the online status is determined by a task running every five minutes to get that status. Given how online status is determined, and how it lingers, I doubt this is a big deal - just FYI.

Edited by All Astronauts
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...