Google Admin Toolbox - HAR Analyzer

Greetings.

I hope I'm in the right sub here...

I often analyze my site's speed with either, Lighthouse or GT Metrix. Since adding a new form of advertisement, I have noticed that, according to either of the previously mentioned analytic tools, complete page load times are ridiculously long. They are still interactive well before complete page load but it is concerning that, according to those metric tools, the page isn't completely loaded for an extreme period of time. If I remove the advertisement, the page loads considerably fast for the IPS product that it is.

I mentioned this to the advertisement provider and they said they would have their devs look into it. They responded with a HAR file that stated the Advertisement loaded in 258ms. I don't have any experience with the HAR tool and I'm not sure what to make of it so I thought to ask here and hopefully someone will be able to lend insight.

As such I guess, if i am understanding things correctly here, I am wondering why the discrepancy between the two/three different metric tools?

Any insight given will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ultimately removing the script is all the proof you need. Ad networks are tremendously bad for site speed. It’s literally the cost for monetizing your site. 

The code while it may have loaded in 258ms stops all other code from working in parallel because it says it is the most important thing.   It is like saying you have 10 cashiers in a store checking people out but any one cashier sees a specific person ALL of them have to stop and wait for that one person to finish checking out because it might be necessary later. 

Some ad networks are worse than others for performance but even Adsense kills page load times unfortunately. 

20 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

Ultimately removing the script is all the proof you need. Ad networks are tremendously bad for site speed. It’s literally the cost for monetizing your site. 

The code while it may have loaded in 258ms stops all other code from working in parallel because it says it is the most important thing.   It is like saying you have 10 cashiers in a store checking people out but any one cashier sees a specific person ALL of them have to stop and wait for that one person to finish checking out because it might be necessary later. 

Some ad networks are worse than others for performance but even Adsense kills page load times unfortunately. 

Thanks Randy, much appreciated. So, if I am understanding what you are saying here is that... even though the advert is only taking a quarter of a second to load (and continually loading it would seem), it stops all (most?) other aspects of the site from loading while this is going on, correct?