I need to split a large topic into two topics

SJ77

I have a topic that has almost 13,000 posts.  I need to split it at around the 5500 post range.

I cannot check that many post boxes 1 by 1.  How can I accomplish this task?

I basically need an option to split a topic into different topics by just selecting the post where I want to make the cut and clicking "split this topic since this post", and then I would have 2 different topics. But I cannot find an option for this.

I found this post topic after searching and seems there was no solution at that time. Is there one now?

Thank you

Edited by SJ77

Clicking the box at the top of the replies will check every post on that page. I know it is probably not the solution you are looking for but it will reduce the "1 by 1" option by a factor of 19. If it were me and I had to do it that way, I would do the last 10/20 (20 clicks will move 400 posts) pages or so first just to get the split thread started and the discussion can continue, in context. When you move the rest, it will update as the move progresses.

Additionally, by working backwards, it enables you to select all posts on the page, until you get to that cutoff point. You're probably locking the thread with the first 7500 posts anyways so, you could do it at your leisure after you get the secondary thread started.

Edited by My Sharona

Just now, SJ77 said:

I must admit that 100's of clicks is better than 1000's of clicks but is this really the only solution?

There is no easier way to manage splitting a large thread?

I don't believe they have addressed this matter as yet, someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I did add a minor edit to my post above incase you missed it.

3 minutes ago, My Sharona said:

I don't believe they have addressed this matter as yet, someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I did add a minor edit to my post above incase you missed it.

Thank you for the additional information.

Unfortunately I need to crop the first part of the thread and not the end.  Perhaps I can come up with some SQL that will simply allow me to hide the posts

30 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

Thank you for the additional information.

Unfortunately I need to crop the first part of the thread and not the end.  Perhaps I can come up with some SQL that will simply allow me to hide the posts

Again, just me and what I might do in this scenario...

Select the last 20 or so pages (prior to those on a partial page load), just before where you want it to pick up, split them off into a different thread, lock the newly created thread for however long it takes you to move the prior posts from a partial listing page (and then opening the newly locked thread), so it can continue on in that context. Then as you get time, move the rest of the prior posts. At which point you will want to work forward so you get to select entire pages of posts.

Good luck!