Bug: Misattributed quotes

opentype

I had users complain about being regularly quoted with things they never said. I checked it out and this is indeed easy to replicate. Example:

Let’s say I see this post from Nigel quoting Daniel:

Could contain: Text, Person, Human, Id Cards, Document, Text Message

I can select the text in the quote and hit “Quote selection”. But the result will be this:

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

The quote gets misattributed to Nigel, even though it was said by Daniel! It shouldn’t work like that.

Either the quote should be attributed correctly, or if that is not possible, the inline quote functionality should be suppressed within already quoted text. 

I can move this to the suggestions area for you, unless you want to add anything to that? This isnt however a bug. Its always been like that, and indeed you could edit it. The quote button is simply adding the text and formatting to the editor. There isnt really anything else special about it in terms of being able to edit that text, as with anything else

25 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

… you could edit it.

No, we can’t. That’s the point. The users could edit the quoted text itself, but that is not the problem here. They want to quote the text as it is.

The problem is the false attribution of that quote which is created by the IPS code. Everything about it is wrong: The name. The time. The link. And users are actually prevented from correcting that. Not to mention that they usually don’t even notice. And then the wrong user gets a notification about having claimed something they never said. 

Edited by opentype

1 hour ago, Dll said:

Yeah, definitely not a bug, nothing to see here. 🤨

I blame lack of coffee. Sarcasm accepted LOL

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention! I can confirm this should be further reviewed and I have logged an internal bug report for our development team to investigate and address as necessary, in a future maintenance release.