Service DOWN - while upgrading the invision recommended updates

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

We attempted an upgrade of the system and realized backup was not done.
So, we initiated backup and wanted to resume the system upgrade. By the time backup is completed, the upgrade session was timed out.

Now, we are unable to login to admin console to upgrade and site is also down. The system is throwing invalid password error.

Appreciate your immediate support as the service is completely down.

Could contain: Text, File, Webpage, Page

Could contain: File, Text, Webpage

Unfortunately there are no details on file for me to assist. The only error there is that the upgrade isnt complete, and you are using the wrong password. Could I just check with you that you are using the correct admin username and password? It should be the one  you use to get into your admin CP at that point, and not client area.

Please could you add your access details on file?

5 minutes ago, SingaporeBikes.com said:

@Marc Stridgen I have updated all the details. Yes the same password we used to login successfully. Kindly advise if there is any way to reset the password if that is not working.

The only way to do that would be to revert to backups taken prior to your upgrade. Please let us know if you are doing this before we intervene

8 minutes ago, SingaporeBikes.com said:

Thanks for escalating the issue.

Is there anyway to reset the password to get into AdminCP?

We have backups of April 2022 and today, we can keep that as a last option to restore one of them.

You cannot withot it being reverted entirely, both files and database. Please let me know if you decide to do that, as I will then close your ticket. If you wish for us to take a look, you need to do nothing until the ticket is looked into

We would like to keep that as last option, so you have got the absolute priority to proceed to investigate and help us fix the issue.

Meanwhile, we are able to resume the upgrade, the system accepted the same password and it went up to step 7.

Now, prompting to take a manual action, please find the attached screenshot and kindly advise.

Could contain: Text

The issue is fully not resolved yet. It would be good to keep the ticket active till the same is completed. We have below questions unanswered too:

1. How come the system did not accept the password earlier?
2. After almost few hours same system authenticated successfully with same password and let us proceed with upgrade. What could have happened meanwhile?
3. How to validate and ensure the data and system integrity?

We cannot have tickets open whereby you are still making changes on the system and actively working on it. At present, you are running through an upgrade,  there is no active issue.

1. How come the system did not accept the password earlier?
2. After almost few hours same system authenticated successfully with same password and let us proceed with upgrade. What could have happened meanwhile?

This can only be due to incorrect input of the password. There is no other alternative explaination for this unfortunately.

3. How to validate and ensure the data and system integrity?

What is it you are looking to validate here? Do you have reason to believe after the upgrade has been run, there is an issue somewhere?

We cannot have tickets open whereby you are still making changes on the system and actively working on it. At present, you are running through an upgrade,  there is no active issue.

If you could have given the equal importance to the customer's service availability with respect your ticketing system processes that would have been great!🙂

This can only be due to incorrect input of the password. There is no other alternative explaination for this unfortunately.

Sorry, his is an unsatisfactory explanation! This could be something related to system's authorization process. If given proper attention to investigate would be of great value not only to us but for the Invision as a product to a robust and secure product. It's absolutely upto you guys. I don't want to extend on this.

What is it you are looking to validate here? Do you have reason to believe after the upgrade has been run, there is an issue somewhere?

We have been using your product for more than a year and we did not come across this experience. Because of the system's inconsistent behavior during upgrade process, we are worried whether there would be any integrity issues. We would have surely appreciated if you could have at least waited till the upgrade process is completed and system is up.

13 minutes ago, SingaporeBikes.com said:

If you could have given the equal importance to the customer's service availability with respect your ticketing system processes that would have been great!🙂

Im extremely confused by your comment here. We certainly give equal importance to our customers, and your responses have been extremely quick here. Am I perhaps missing something?

14 minutes ago, SingaporeBikes.com said:

Sorry, his is an unsatisfactory explanation! This could be something related to system's authorization process. If given proper attention to investigate would be of great value not only to us but for the Invision as a product to a robust and secure product. It's absolutely upto you guys. I don't want to extend on this.

There isnt really anything else I can add to this. The password presented was incorrect there. In fact you have those same details in your admin CP, and they are still incorrect. I completely understand you may wish to see the answer as unsatisfactory there, however unfortunately there is little other answer I can provide here.

Could contain: File, Text

16 minutes ago, SingaporeBikes.com said:

We have been using your product for more than a year and we did not come across this experience. Because of the system's inconsistent behavior during upgrade process, we are worried whether there would be any integrity issues. We would have surely appreciated if you could have at least waited till the upgrade process is completed and system is up.

If you go to System->Support in your admin CP, if there are any issues with regard the database it will show in that area. There is nothing from what you have said above however that would indicate there is likely to be any issues.

Please do bear in mind, we are here to help you. However there are issues here that should be avoided as a self hosted customer. These would be that if you require assistance in a "My site is offline" manner and a ticket is created, please do not make further changes, and to take full backups.

Just to explain from an internal point of view, what happens is we create a ticket and add notes for developers so they know what has happened, where we are up to, and what we need them to resolve. If you then go ahead and do something afterward such as revert to backups, or get past those steps, we are then in a situation where the developer has no insight as to what is happening.  It then will be sent back to us, and end up back with yourself. So while I understand the need to want to speed things up, you may actually slow things down.

Also, ensure you take full backups of files and database prior to starting any upgrade. Taking a backup once its started is unfortunately too late.

We are here to help you, not to hinder you in any way. But we do at times need your help to do that

9 minutes ago, SingaporeBikes.com said:

@Marc Stridgen Understood your perspective and challenges. Glad to know you are committed to customer service. we see issues after the upgrade is successful. Do you suggest to continue this thread or start a separate topic?

Thank you for your understanding. 

No need to start a new topic. Whats the issue there?

After the upgrade,

1. None of our users are able to login.

• User can't click on the top right corner three horizontal lines (circled in red color)
  • Could contain: Advertisement, Poster, Flyer, Brochure, Paper, Person, Human, Label, Text

2. We are also unable to login to admin cp.

• Could contain: File, Business Card, Paper, Text, Webpage, Page

3. Classifieds are not visible to users. (circled in green)

• Could contain: Text, Mobile Phone, Electronics, Phone, Cell Phone

4. Images in articles are replaced by urls.

• Could contain: Text, Page, Document

5. Click on the top right corner not showing the drop down.

Could contain: File, Person, Human, Webpage

Could contain: Advertisement, Poster, Flyer, Brochure, Paper, Person, Human, Label, Text

Edited by SingaporeBikes.com