Amazon S3

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I noticed that after setting up Amazon S3, the system doesn't save a copy of the file locally, meaning if I stop using S3 I lose all the media I uploaded.

Is there a way to configure so that after uploading the media in the forum, the system saves the media in the hosting and also in the amazon S3? Because currently it is only being stored on the S3.

• Solution

Typically, the reason people switch to Amazon S3 is to overtake their storage solution. Meaning, they don't have the local space, want a better/lower cost solution, or need to hold it locally. Should you wish to move away from Amazon S3, you would simply move it back to your local server via the software or one of the many tools out there.

There are no means in the default software to configure both S3 and local storage for the same files.

3 hours ago, Gerson Porto said:

I noticed that after setting up Amazon S3, the system doesn't save a copy of the file locally, meaning if I stop using S3 I lose all the media I uploaded.

Is there a way to configure so that after uploading the media in the forum, the system saves the media in the hosting and also in the amazon S3? Because currently it is only being stored on the S3.

I would ask what your concern is by AWS being the only one with the data.  If it’s “what happens if AWS S3 loses my data”, there are tools within S3 to store data in multiple availability zones. There are also tools to do for example daily backups in case something is deleted by mistake. 

You can even write scripts to clone an S3 bucket to a remote non-S3 server. However those options would want to be done outside of IPB. Those are in your backup or BCDR processes, not your operations processes. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Mr. Arthur said:

Using Amazon S3, I even want to keep a copy of the files locally. 🙂

Then I would suggest doing this outside of IPB. IPB is not a good storage replication system. Your better bet is to leverage S3’s existing API’s and capabilities to replicate data on a certain schedule. 

The entire premise behind IPBs integration with S3 is so that you don’t have to keep a local copy. If a local copy is important for you, it would be better to do it from the S3 side instead of the IPB side. 

Also if you plan to stop using S3, you can change your storage location to a local drive which would download a copy for you to that storage location.  So long as you don’t just delete your bucket or just stop paying for it… you would not “lose” anything if you decided you wanted to use local storage instead.