Lost Formatting in ACP

Simply clicking on random ACP menu items will occasionally create a situation where the page loses formatting.  This has happened dozens of times. Exiting out of the ACP and back doesn't correct the problem.  This doesn't happen just on one site but on multiple ones.  Purposely clicking on random menu items never seems to elicit this behavior.  It happens when you aren't looking for it.

Could contain: File, Word, Text, Webpage, Page

Clicking on one of the menu items again "sometimes" brings the formatting back, but most of the time it doesn't. In order to recover full functionality of the ACP I have to thoroughly clean the browser cache.  This doesn't happen solely with the Edge Browser.  I tried Mozilla Firefox and it happened with that browser as well.

When you click on the errant menu item there seems to be a brief pause before the normally formatted ACP menu item changes to an abnormally formatted ACP page.

So far, it's always IPS menu items and not third-party ones that are exhibiting this behaivor.

Edited by Chris Anderson

Sounds like some sort of caching behavior or that the system cannot correctly obtain a CSS file on your server after a period. I would double check that your permissions to the uploads folder and all sub-folders are correct.

I am happy to take a further look if that does not help but the credentials on file for your ACP are not correct. Please update those in the Client Area following the instructions below:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Stored Access Information has been updated on all sites.

Uploads directory and all subdirectories are all assigned the same permissions for all sites.

Uploads 0775
Sub Directories 0777
Logs 0775

Mind you the ACP pages are properly formatted 99.9999% of the time and the errant behavior can snap back if I click on the right menu option.  This doesn't happen on just one site but all 4 primary sites.  This isn't a recent problem it has been happening off and on for weeks. 

Are you using any CDNs? Are you imposing custom browser caching rules? If so, I would suggest reducing your complexity. It sounds like a deliverability issue if things are getting written correctly to your server and delivered initially.

Just now, Chris Anderson said:

No to both.  I also disabled Rewrite URLS to eliminate that as a possible cause.

These are proof of concept sites at this point in time.  The only person interacting with the site is me.

If you access with incognito/private browsing mode do you get the same? Unfortunately, if it's only you who is having the issue, it would likely point to a local issue with cache/something else on your local machine. Of course, these are all speculations without myself being able to access the ACP.

I am happy to check it out if you would like to update credentials.

Just now, Jim M said:

I am happy to check it out if you would like to update credentials.

Already done as noted above.  

I run "Disk Cleanup" on my PC, clear my cache in my browsers and use Wise Disk Cleaner to further clean up my PC several times a day to minimize cookie tracking and ensure my browser has a minimal amount of potential problems lurking in the caches.  

I don't do this while actively browsing the ACP.  It happens before or after.

I use browsers with added security features enabled when browsing other sites but for accessing my site I use default browsers with no added plugins or tweaks to the settings.  I want to mimic as best I can the "average" user who may be accessing my ACP or front end.

20 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

I run "Disk Cleanup" on my PC, clear my cache in my browsers and use Wise Disk Cleaner to further clean up my PC several times a day to minimize cookie tracking and ensure my browser has a minimal amount of potential problems lurking in the caches.  

Any of this done automatically? That might explain why this is happening to you.

Unfortunately, I used 3 browsers which are the most common and that we support; Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. (In your experience, Edge you mentioned had no issues, but Firefox did.) All 3 browsers, I am not having issues. Browsed around, waited, browsed again to mimic behavior of an active admin for a while.

I would recommend disabling and not using these browser history (cache/cookie/etc...) clearing items temporarily to see if this fixes your issue here. I will continue to browse but ultimately, I think this is an abnormal activity you're performing if this is happening mid-browsing thus not something we can "fix." 

21 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

Already done as noted above.  

Apologizes, I missed that.

27 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Any of this done automatically? That might explain why this is happening to you.

NO

27 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Browsed around, waited, browsed again to mimic behavior of an active admin for a while.

That's just the thing, I can click around for hours or several days in a row and everything works as expected. It isn't happening on just one of the 8 sites I'm testing but all of them have exhibited this behavior (more than once) over the course of the 4.7 betas. When this errant behavior strikes on one site, I will have visited the other seven sites soon after and none of them went into an errant state. The same browser condition, no changes to settings or clearing of browsers. The problem isn't occurring on just one version.

I have two duplicate test sites made up of 4 servers each.  One running 4.6.12.1 and the other the latest 4.7 beta.  I do this so that it is much easier to duplicate issues prior to submitting a bug report to you or to a third-party developer.

When I make changes on the 4.6.12.1 site I immediately switch over to that site's twin running the latest 4.7 beta.  In this way all of the settings on one platform get duplicated to the other.  I also do this to try to figure out what has changed between the two releases.  I tend to click on each ACP menu item and sub menus in my quest to discover what might be different between versions, so yeah, I dive pretty deeply into the ACP. That's what a beta tester does.

I also clear system caches prior to embarking on any testing.

Edited by Chris Anderson

While I understand this is frustrating having an issue that is not reproducible, however, without seeing/experiencing the issue myself, it would be hard for us to investigate/understand what may be happening outside of the only factor involved (your personal PC).

Are there any steps that lead to this happening consistently? Is this happening on other computers/devices? If you sign up for a free trial on our Cloud, are you still seeing this? Please be sure to temporarily leave your browser history intact to ensure you rule this out.

6 minutes ago, Jim M said:

While I understand this is frustrating having an issue that is not reproducible, however, without seeing/experiencing the issue myself, it would be hard for us to investigate/understand what may be happening outside of the only factor involved (your personal PC).

If it had only happened once on each site and on one browser, I would have marked it down to a random glitch and not reported it.  But as it has happed more than once on all 8 sites something is amiss.  Whether the root cause is attributable to browsers or to your code it's an issue you should be aware of.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, Matt said:

It's worth using the browsers dev tools to check the console to see if it's an error loading a CSS file when this occurs.

The problem continues to happen and on multiple sites. I will bend over backwards to help troubleshoot where I can but as I don't have an excellent grasp of CSS and no experience with the dev tools, I'm not going to be too helpful without further guidance from someone at your company.