Linking to posts broken

Vijbot

My members have pointed out a huge issue with linking to a post in topics. It also seems to be happening on these forums. Linking to the post will not place the user to the correct location on the page.

example intended link to post: Link

expected result:

image.thumb.png.5c819ed59e99e6130e5f0264dbb1563b.png

actual result:

image.thumb.png.c2a69899ff18e8a891b530eaa60e4b0d.png

This is repeatable and seemingly will give different results and only sometimes will link directly to the post.

image.png.0e960f310e2ea69647e964b36887ce4d.png

We're clicking on the share button under the ellipses button next to the post.

image.png.62b808fa3b6429e7cd115291c275f9a0.png

Sorry I don't mean to say we want to see it embedded but rather if we link to it it should go to the comment.

When clicking on the link the first time or in a private browser session it does indeed go to the comment, however if the person has already been on the page or refreshes that page it would displace it. I think this may have to do with lazy load images?

https://efgxt.net/topic/52-suggestion-box/?do=findComment&comment=2223&_rid=1

18 minutes ago, Vijbot said:

image.png.0e960f310e2ea69647e964b36887ce4d.png

We're clicking on the share button under the ellipses button next to the post.

image.png.62b808fa3b6429e7cd115291c275f9a0.png

Sorry I don't mean to say we want to see it embedded but rather if we link to it it should go to the comment.

When clicking on the link the first time or in a private browser session it does indeed go to the comment, however if the person has already been on the page or refreshes that page it would displace it. I think this may have to do with lazy load images?

https://efgxt.net/topic/52-suggestion-box/?do=findComment&comment=2223&_rid=1

When going to the shared URL, I going to a post from Aaron44126. If there are images on the page, the browser anchor will bring you to where the anchor is (which is correct) but then the image(s) load and could change that.

Correct, we've since disabled lazy load media as its not required for our community however this issue is still appearing. So the odd thing is, the link to that post does work as intended, but when you click on the link he provides in his post it will have the undesired effect of linking to a seemingly random part of the page.

This issue is seemingly browser agnostic. I've been able to reproduce this in Firefox 97 and Chromium 98.

If the user has never been to the page before it will work as intended for the very first time.

If they scroll around after clicking that link then go back to that post through a link it will scroll to the part of the page they were previously instead of the intended location (the linked post)

I've attached a screen-capture of what I'm describing

Edited by Vijbot

Unfortunately, in actual Chrome I cannot reproduce this. Keep in mind that Chromium is not the production release of Chrome and typically includes things which will give you a different user experience. While I do see a little oddity in Firefox, we are using native anchors here. I have tagged a dev to verify what you're seeing is indeed a browser issue rather than a code issue on our end.

Thank you for the quick replies and looking into this for me.

I can confirm the same happens in actual chrome on windows, I'd rather not make another video however I can if you would like. I'm getting the exact same result.

Chrome does indeed seem to behave "better" than firefox, but the issue remains.