(NE) Translate

By "Something in the content" I am referring to a character within the content - as I said, I doubt it is character amount because I've already looked at the post and it's not that long.

Leave it with me - I've got enough information now to be able to figure it out (likely the > characters causing a conflict with html tags)

Edited by Nathan Explosion

v1.3.0 is currently pending approval

• New
    • added functionality to display a 'Translate this topic' menu at the top of a topic, which will translate all viewable comments on the screen
    • the title of topic/event/record will now also be translated in the following situations:
      • if/when the first displayed comment in a topic's comment feed is translated
      • if/when a database record is translated
      • if/when an event is translated
      • IMPORTANT: if a translation is marked as 'Protected' in the ACP, then it should be either be a) manually updated to translate the title or b) deleted so that a new one can be generated by a user. If either of those isn't done then the title will remain untranslated.
  • Fixes
    • fixed issue where certain characters in content may cause translated content to be partially shown.
    • fixed issue with second tab could not be clicked when editing translations, if the language contained the ( or ) characters 
  • Changes
    • None

Hi, I have checked new version and its looks like when translation whole post the title is translated for Admin only? I have tried two "tests account" and will not translate title for them. Could you please check from your side when having any spare time. I have clean cache etc btw .

16 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I haven't put any restrictions on it. Will look into it on Monday when I have time

Quick glance at my own site and I can see why there would be a reason for this - the front-end selector that I am targeting for the title doesn't exist if the person translating doesn't have permissions to edited the topic. D'oh!

Monday will take a closer look

14 minutes ago, Edjazoli said:

.as well its worth to remember about polls

What does this mean? Why do I need to remember them? Is this a feature enhancement request?

If it is enhancement request, then if it is a request to change the title/question/choices of a poll within a topic then I will keep it in mind if I do any further new features on the resource. Based on the total success of it from a sales point of view, this is currently bug-fix only.

v1.3.1 is now pending approval (and released)

• FIXES
    • changed JS so that translation of titles is no longer reliant on the viewer being able to edit the topic/event/record being translated*
  • CHANGES
    • None
  • NEW
    • None

*The following still stands:

IMPORTANT: if a translation is marked as 'Protected' in the ACP, then it should be either be a) manually updated to translate the title or b) deleted so that a new one can be generated by a user. If either of those isn't done then the title will remain untranslated.

Please note the following:

• Sale price will no longer be valid after 31st January
  • Application is currently in bug-fix mode only; new features, if any, will be added at my own pace - this may change if the application sees more sales, but it is not financially beneficial to me to spend time on adding new features.

thx, just a quick question...In this topic https://xbox-vibes.com/topic/2286-adding-up-xbox-game-pass/  and I know that we're only talking about few polish words...its not translating  to any of the chosen languages? Is that because the links or Im missing something?

"Cześć @Gość Jimi zobacz tutaj https://www.eneba.com/collection/buy-xbox-game-pass-cheaper lub tutaj https://www.g2a.com/xbox-game-pass-for-xbox-3-months-xbox-live-key-europe-i10000080969044"

Edited by Edjazoli

I will look into it on Thursday.

Actually got 5 mins at the end of my day to take a look - I reckon the DeepL API is detecting the source language of the content as English because there are a lot more English words in the content than there are Polish.

Change the content to the following and I reckon it will be all good:

Cześć  @Gość Jimi  zobacz tutaj https://www.eneba.com/  lub tutaj  https://www.g2a.com/

Can you confirm? Not sure there is anything I can do about it, if it is the case, but I'll take a closer look on Thursday.

Confirmed on my side - when the request is processed by DeepL's API, the source language is being detected as English. But I'm not sure why it's then NOT translating the English words to the chosen language instead - it just leaves it untranslated, and sends it back as such.

So, here is what I am going to try out...

Either detect an unchanged translation (text before & after exactly the same) and put in a fall-back to indicate to the user that the translation couldn't be done, and to choose the source language themselves for a further translation attempt.

Or...just exclude text in URLs from the content being translated. (which is what Google does by default)

See how that goes.

9 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

So, here is what I am going to try out...

Either detect an unchanged translation (text before & after exactly the same) and put in a fall-back to indicate to the user that the translation couldn't be done, and to choose the source language themselves for a further translation attempt.

Or...just exclude text in URLs from the content being translated. (which is what Google does by default)

Nah, stuff that. A little bit more testing, based on a hunch, and it appears that the issue is the hyphens separating the words in the text of the links. If I convert them to underscores then it translates and ignores the links, just like Google.

Off I go to tinker...

Another observation, I have ticked the option that the whole forum can translate the topic, including guests, however if you looking in to the topics from the guest view the "Translate whole topic" button is not available for them. Its missing or it's just me missing something?

As well a quick request if possible- any chance you could add translation to polls?title/question/choices of a poll within a topic? NO pressure at all, just an idea......

1 hour ago, Edjazoli said:

Its missing or it's just me missing something?

I'll take a look - the hook is probably into an area where guests can't see, so should be an easy fix.
Nope, shows fine for me:

image.thumb.png.4bf17870d5b1384c4284d7965ab537ea.png

And there it is on your site:

image.thumb.png.10dc5cc958c06616d8aa7b9470d77de3.png

1 hour ago, Edjazoli said:

any chance you could add translation to polls?title/question/choices of a poll within a topic?

You've asked previously, and the answer is still the same - currently, the application is in bug-fix only mode. If I add new features at a later point, then it will be one I will take a look at.