Disabling all plugins causing mini DDOS?

Circo
Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I'm trying to figure out an issue on my site. Support always says to disable 3rd party plugins when troubleshooting to determine if it's a 3rd party causing it or IPS. So, I disabled all plugins and immediately the site went down. Checking the logs show 300k+ hits in a very short time causing 503 site errors. Contacted my host; they ae monitoring it and says that the traffic is from IPS. 

Is it normal that this would happen when disabling all 3rd party plugins?

13 minutes ago, Circo said:

I'm trying to figure out an issue on my site. Support always says to disable 3rd party plugins when troubleshooting to determine if it's a 3rd party causing it or IPS. So, I disabled all plugins and immediately the site went down. Checking the logs show 300k+ hits in a very short time causing 503 site errors. Contacted my host; they ae monitoring it and says that the traffic is from IPS. 

Is it normal that this would happen when disabling all 3rd party plugins?

I doubt it that disabling all plugins will cause a ddos attack. How many plugins did you disable btw?

2 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

I doubt it that disabling all plugins will cause a ddos attack. How many plugins did you disable btw?

I have 11 plugins installed. One of them is S3 downloads. Not sure if disabling that one would have caused it or not.

23 hours ago, Circo said:

Checking the logs show 300k+ hits in a very short time causing 503 site errors. Contacted my host; they ae monitoring it and says that the traffic is from IPS. 

I would ask your host for more information about what they're saying is IPS traffic.  They should be able to provide logs showing the traffic and it's source/destination.  Let's figure out first if they're correct or not.  It's highly unlikely that 300K+ hits is coming from IPS to your site, but let's dig into that more.  

Regarding the plugins... disabling ANY 3rd party plugin should not trigger an increase in traffic to your site.  Most likely the disabling of the plugins simply coincided with that activity, but to make sure...  re-enable plugins and disable them one by one.  See if it happens again.  If it DOES, you'll know specifically what plugin was problematic.