Deactivate Audio Player

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

With the latest update of the IPB there comes an audio player. I want my mp3 files to be available in my community for download only for premium members. I prefered to previous solution for that. Can the audio player be deactivated ?

Thanks for the help in forward.

• Solution

Unfortunately, there is no method at this time to keep it a standard download. Most browsers do allow you to right click and save the audio, however. You can certainly suggest this in our Feature Suggestion forum to leave an option to download.

5 minutes ago, hpcrazy said:

I see - yes I would prefer to have this feature since my members are paying that they can download my mp3 files. But the playing the audio file with the player is only possible for the selected groups right ?

It is a standard embed, just like videos, which apply to all users.

2 minutes ago, hpcrazy said:

Then I need the old system back since all my premium members are paying to have access to the mp3 downloads. How can I do that ?

I'm afraid, your only options currently are:

1. Utilize our Downloads application to fulfill your paid download service. This will always allow the user to download the items you upload there.
  2. Wait for your suggestion topic to be reviewed by our team and potentially address the new suggestion in a future release.
  3. Hire a third party author to assist you with a custom plugin to remove this feature.

I added my suggestions here :

as it seems the way I posted the mp3 files with an upload work only for the upgrade group but the current system is not satisfing now. The old one was perfect.

There are too many posts and too many members in my community that I can change everything now to the download application which I already have installed for other features in my community.

Looks like I am the one out of many who does not welcome the new feature with the audio player - or only the way I described in my suggestion.

Just now, hpcrazy said:

I see - does your plugin allow to add costum error messages if a group without permission to downloads clicks on the audio file added ?

No - what I will be thinking of doing is reverting any audio player back to a link if the person viewing the topic doesn't have permissions to download the file, which then puts you back to the previous state you had pre-upgrade.

Wanted to follow up with this after our internal discussion. I am sorry that I do not have good news as there will not be a plan to address the permission aspect of the mp3 audio embed. It will behave as our other embeds do for videos, images, etc... If you wish to get around this for now in topics, you could zip the mp3 file up so that the audio embedding would not happen. (This feature may disappear in the future, however.)

Overall, in our software, if you wish to have complete file-level access over attachments for member groups, using the Downloads application is advised. You can then copy the Download File's URL and paste it in your topic or have Downloads create topics for you to engage discussion if that is your goal.

Hi Jim,

thanks for passing me the information over so fast. So I can think about an other solution then the current one which I have. I already have the download app installed so this would not create a big effort - I see that I can allow specific user groups access to the downloads. Is there a possibilty to create a custom error message if a member who is not in the right user group want to access the downloads ?

34 minutes ago, hpcrazy said:

Hi Jim,

thanks for passing me the information over so fast. So I can think about an other solution then the current one which I have. I already have the download app installed so this would not create a big effort - I see that I can allow specific user groups access to the downloads. Is there a possibilty to create a custom error message if a member who is not in the right user group want to access the downloads ?

Yes, this is already possible to set custom errors messages in Downloads. It is currently setup for each Downloads category, you'll see a tab called "Error Messages".