Test Install - Subscription Payments

I have a test install of IPS on a sub-domain and separate machine from my live site.  The test install has the -TESTINSTALL at the end of the IPS key.  I do not leave the test install running all the time but I do power it on from time to time and run test, check updates, etc.  When I powered it on today, it had been about a month or so but I immediately got email notifications of successful subscription charges from stripe.  The problem is, these charges were already made on the live server within the last month.  So these new charges are redundant and had to be refunded.  

My question is, shouldn't test installs have auto payments, or payments in general disabled by default or am I just missing something?  I appreciate any feedback! 

Edited by rnorth6920
subscription verbage

8 minutes ago, opentype said:

Thanks, that makes complete sense.  My thought is maybe it should be defaulted to "off" or similar when a TESTINSTALL is detected with a notification to enable it once a sandbox or test api is added to replace the live one.  This would probably help those who are new(er) to test installs. 

On 9/11/2021 at 5:08 PM, rnorth6920 said:

Thanks, that makes complete sense.  My thought is maybe it should be defaulted to "off" or similar when a TESTINSTALL is detected with a notification to enable it once a sandbox or test api is added to replace the live one.  This would probably help those who are new(er) to test installs. 

As mentioned by my colleague, it is an identical setup to live, by design. In order to use test gateways you would switch to these, in the same manner as you would switch to it using a test license key