Ban all members by default

kmk

Apart of Support forum style (can not see by others members), would be super if ips can add New forum style, with option by default ban all members, then only selected groups, and members can see and use that forum. 

Need more flexibility to manage variety of privacy needs. It will give us an Enhanced combination of, group, members, categories and privacy management. 

You can already do that by creating groups that have permissions to see and post in specified forums.

image.thumb.png.e266ead31c857e25a71b965eecbd15e4.png

Each forum has its own permissions as to:

• Who can see the forum
  • Who can read topics
  • Who can post new topics
  • Who can reply to topics

It's a very powerful feature and by creating groups and moving those members you want to have access to certain forums, you can restrict who can use the forum without the need for a different type of forum.  You can also use member permissions to restrict their individual access 🙂

5 hours ago, Davyc said:

You can also use member permissions to restrict their individual access 🙂

How? 

If I create so many forums for differents projects discussion, it demand me create one group in ACP to work with one forum, what I asked is to avoid manage so many groups and changing permissions.

Create a forum with all members banned by default, just choose which groups, and @ members who can see that forum in the setting, replace creating groups and permissions, you can imagine the hard work will be generated if you have to manage 50 projects, all projects with differents members. 

create a secondary group with no specific permissions (unable to connect and nothing active), then add to that group the members of the project. Use the group to give access to your forum to the concerned members only.

Edited by Dexter_X

If you want to create forums where no one has access until you decide they can, then just create a forum with no permissions (other than admin/moderators) and then add in the groups you want later.  Unfortunately you're going to have to use groups otherwise you will not have any control over who sees what.  A forum with no permissions granted to any group is the same as a forum that bans all members.

Even if IPS were to create such a forum, you will still need groups to manage who can access that forum.  The alternative is to use a password protected forum, but the hole in the bucket with that is members can share the password.  Member groups are the best way forward and if you are going to have so many restricted forums on your site then you are opening a can of worms for yourself in terms of management.

You can use Clubs - they can have their own forums and you can choose from a variety of types of group from open, to requesting joining to by invitation only.

Edited by Davyc

3 hours ago, Dexter_X said:

create a secondary group with no specific permissions (unable to connect and nothing active), then add to that group the members of the project. Use the group to give access to your forum to the concerned members only.

That is what I am doing. 

But I just want to suggest improve that make life and management more easy. That is same in sometimes say "powerful" because the tasks can be achieve easily and let us more productive. 

Take 50 forums as example. Due each forum members aren't the same, so I have to create 50 groups, as I can't add members into a group inside the group, that demand me go to each member account to assign related secondary group... So the actions to create groups and assignments of secondary groups are:

50 x (x amount of members) = 😢

VS. Create each forum and just add the group or/and members. I see it so easy-to-use. 

And in case you want to modify the assignments, just go to forum setting add or delete....