Localhost Downloading of marketplace apps/plugins (manually)

Dean_

On 8/18/2020 at 8:25 AM, Lindy said:

The majority of our customers have a reasonable expectation to trust that what they install from our Marketplace has been reviewed by IPS. If the Android approach works better for you - we don't take it personally. You have to decide what is important to you but you're not going to get the taste of Coke Zero in a Pepsi Max can (I prefer Coke Zero, if you were curious, but you may prefer Pepsi 😉) -- there's no point in choosing Brand A, if you just want it to mimic Brand B. 

The modern web landscape has changed significantly. There are a decreasing number of platforms that have "downloadable content." We are a point. click. install. done. society now and we've found that represents the mindset of the majority of our customer base, from personal all the way to enterprise.

Funny, I find most of my problems with IPS has been a result of IPS' code and (lack of) review. Your company seems to be constantly looking for new ways to screw over its existing customers (upgrades wont run without active support, can't download without active support, breaking or removing big features of a previous release, killing off IP content, random things not working with minor upgrades, oh and that whole dis-honoring the perpetual license thing). I was a customer, but you never listened to any issues I had or gave a dam about them, so I switched to Xenforo, its been fantastic since. I still have my IPS license, and I may one day use it for something else, but I find the attitude of your company to leave a bad taste and this latest move stinks.

Edited by AndoMike

• Management
10 minutes ago, AndoMike said:

Funny, I find most of my problems with IPS has been a result of IPS' code and (lack of) review. Your company seems to be constantly looking for new ways to screw over its existing customers (upgrades wont run without active support, can't download without active support, breaking or removing big features of a previous release, killing off IP content, random things not working with minor upgrades, oh and that whole dis-honoring the perpetual license thing). I was a customer, but you never listened to any issues I had or gave a dam about them, so I switched to Xenforo, its been fantastic since. I still have my IPS license, and I may one day use it for something else, but I find the attitude of your company to leave a bad taste and this latest move stinks.

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry you feel that way. We have been in business for close to twenty years and a lot has changed over that time. We've constantly evolved as a company, and constantly evolved our products to ensure that we remain relevant and competitive. This has meant changing our minds on a few things over these decades, and customers with long memories do tend to pick us up for each change; as is your right.

Everything we do is to provide you the customer with the best product and support. We're not perfect, and we do make mistakes but we come from a place of wanting to do good. When we're wrong, we'll admit it, change our policies and move on.

Some of the things you listed are just a product of our evolving company (except "killing off IP.Content", we just renamed that to Pages).

We do listen to our feedback and I'm grateful for anyone who takes the time to let us know how they feel. Just because we didn't act on it, it doesn't mean that your feelings are invalid, it just means that it doesn't fit in with our own plans to continue growing and evolving.

I'm glad you're happy with XenForo. Growing and nurturing a community requires patience, time and focus. Always remember that the people that make up your community are the most important thing, not the platform.

Thanks for dropping by today.