Why to deprecate Memcache in IPS 4.5?

Deprecations

Core: Apc, Memcache, Wincache and Xcache caching engines, we recommend using Redis instead.

Source: https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/450-beta-8-r94/

We've also deprecated older caching engines like Memcache, APC and Wincache and recommend using Redis instead.

Source: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/company/welcome-to-invision-community-45-r1206/

If Redis is what IPS recommends, then why can't IPS let it be a recommendation, instead forcing clients to switch over? If Memcached is performing better than Redis for some users and they are comfortable with that (including myself as I host multiple servers and clients' IPS sites), or those clients who don't have Redis on their server due to their Host restrictions; then why to simply deprecate it?

My say: Please do NOT deprecate Memcached.

22 hours ago, bfarber said:

Because it's code we need to maintain. We've supported memcache for many years, but these days we find Redis works far better for the vast majority of our clients, so we feel development efforts are better directed towards maintaining Redis.

Hi @bfarber

That makes perfect sense to me, but I also understand @Lucas James. In my experience, hosts don't know how to install or config redis. They have experience with solutions like memcache and to get it to play well with cPanel.

Is it possible for the Invision team to please create a tutorial on the best way to install and configure the latest version of redis specifically for Invision? And if possible to get it working with cPanel? I think this would take care of some hardships as we would be able to give our hosts documentation for them to follow and get our Invision Suite working efficiently with redis.

Edited by AA15

• 2 months later...