Large community conversion re-run product conversion

CoffeeCake

All,

I'm testing a rather large conversion from vBulletin 3.8.x and have encountered issues with the blog conversion. As it stands, it takes about 8 hours for our members, members history, etc. to finish converting before it gets to the blog conversion. I'm trying to fix the issue, but don't want to wait such a long time between attempts. Does anyone know of a way to rerun the conversion for the blogs area only without having start from scratch?

I'm wondering if modifying the values in convert_app_sessions would allow me to restart from the blog import, or putting the site in development mode, etc. Please excuse the ignorance.

Edit: To clarify, I'm only looking to do this in a test/dev environment. Once we confirmed our fix appears to be working, we would then wipe and start from scratch with the fix in place.

Not generally recommended, but you can add this to constants.php

define( 'CONVERTERS_DEV_UI', true );

And then when you view the conversion applications you can click on the "Blog" link for your converter application instance, and rerun just that step. It can be a little glitchy at times as this "mode" is solely in place to help us during development so we don't really fix many issues we notice in here, but for your purposes it may help.

Well, gave it a try but... it kept wanting to convert millions of posts. I've resorted to starting over again and deselecting anything but blogs. Is this an all or nothing thing? If I start the conversion without the flag in constants.php, will I have no choice to continue the normal route and vice versa?

12 hours ago, Paul E. said:

Well, gave it a try but... it kept wanting to convert millions of posts. I've resorted to starting over again and deselecting anything but blogs. Is this an all or nothing thing? If I start the conversion without the flag in constants.php, will I have no choice to continue the normal route and vice versa?

This changes the interface and may adapt how the routines you click on run slightly, but does not change how the actual conversion works behind the scenes. You can turn this mode on or off however - I strongly discourage attempting to use it in production. It is meant as a development mode to allow us to retest steps and things like that easier, it is not meant as a way for end users to process conversions themselves.

Generally speaking, if you run into an issue running a conversion, you should submit a ticket and we'll take a look.

Understood. This is only in testing, not production. The expectation is that we'll nail down all of the issues in test, run a standard conversion in stage, and then replicate in production when we make the actual transition. We can't get past dev yet though with the issues we're seeing.

There's an open issue for this in Zendesk: 38258.

Archived