How long does migration usually take?

BuffaloR

I'm completely unimpressed with the support i'm getting from Invision, so I'm turning to you folks!

For those who migrated from VBulletin or similar, how long did the background processes take? 

It's been 3+ days now and i'm currently at: 

0.81% Rebuilding Posts

2.44% Rebuilding Personal Conversations

9.53% Rebuilding New topic flag

2.84% Rebuilding Messages

And 0% for lots and lots and lots and lots of other things below it.

At this pace, it's going to to take a month to finish these processes!

Tried giving Support my AdminCP password to check on it, but they won't look because I have it on the server (don't want to point my domain until it's working properly!)

Any help you folks can give me would be great.

EDIT: Just changed it to the "Cron" method... hoping that will improve speed. 

EDIT 2: My forum is NOT huge! About 250k posts and 60k members.

EDIT 3: The forum does "look" right. I dont notice any missing posts or threads or anything. Is it possible the %'s are wrong?

0 the forum "looks" right. It doesn't look like any posts or thread are missing. Not sure why most things are under 10%

-----

Update.
Just saw this notification come up:

One of the routine maintenance tasks which run in the background has failed several times, which may indicate a configuration issue.

Application/Plugin
System
Task
queue
Runs background queue tasks.
Last Run
Thursday at 06:53 PM
You should check the logs for any indication of the issue or attempt to run it manually. 

So i click "run task" and get the following error:

The task is already running and cannot be ran until it has finished or the lock is removed.

Do you run the tasks manually from the admin cp?

I moved from vb5 a few weeks ago with 1.2 million posts and around 90kusers.

The conversion itself took a few hours and I believe the tasks took around 36 hours. I agree that this step is a pain and I clearly believe it could be faster.

I actually was very satisfied with the support through ticket system, ips team corrected a few issues very efficiently in the days after migration.

This is one of the main difference I see with vbulletin5 regarding support, there is way less inter user help on ips forum than vbulletin5.

I honestly do not regret migrating and my users almost unanimously approved the change. I had a lot of drama from users when I did the vb3->vb5 upgrade two years ago so to me it is a sign of how much ips is better than vb5.

10 minutes ago, jesuralem said:

Do you run the tasks manually from the admin cp?

I moved from vb5 a few weeks ago with 1.2 million posts and around 90kusers.

The conversion itself took a few hours and I believe the tasks took around 36 hours. I agree that this step is a pain and I clearly believe it could be faster.

I actually was very satisfied with the support through ticket system, ips team corrected a few issues very efficiently in the days after migration.

This is one of the main difference I see with vbulletin5 regarding support, there is way less inter user help on ips forum than vbulletin5.

I honestly do not regret migrating and my users almost unanimously approved the change. I had a lot of drama from users when I did the vb3->vb5 upgrade two years ago so to me it is a sign of how much ips is better than vb5.

I don't regret migrating either.

This system is much better.

Just wish I could get straightforward answers. They are giving me grief because I am using a test website to get my forum correct before setting the domain. For goodness sake, just help the customer who just paid you hundreds of dollars and stop worrying about a darn test url.

But I digress.

Your forum is bigger than mine and took half the time, so something is definitely wrong!

I'm running the tasks via CRON right now.

I also did a few migrations on my dev site before doing it live, this is clearly the way to go.

I ran the tasks manually from the acp, it went well although I tried to speed up the process by running it on two different browsers and it was clearly a bad idea. I realized a few days after that some posts have been double converted and we're messed up. The support quickly corrected the posts.

What are your server resources? I tend to oversize my servers because it is often not much more expressive. My test server was 4cpu/8gB, my prod is triple that but this is just ridiculously oversized 🙂

If this is a test server and you weren't using cron for the background tasks, they'd likely effectively never finish because the tasks are kicked off based on activity on the site (and as you said, this was a test server with little to no activity).

Set the tasks to run via cron and gauge the progress.

If you're getting an error that the queue task is locking, check the System Logs to see if any errors are being logged. This might also contribute to the tasks not running through as quickly as they should.

And never ........ never ........ try to run the tasks "faster" by running in two different browsers, or manually running from the ACP while you have cron set to run your tasks. Just let the background tasks run in the background. It's the fastest and safest method.

Archived