This file is not currently available for purchase

jair101

I understand that full detailed reasons for this message to appear on a given marketplace listing does not necessary belong in public. But I still think that the clients that bought this resource deserve a bit more information. 

- Is it because the author is inactive?
- Is it marked as such until a critical bug is fixed?
- Is it because the application introduces security vulnerabilties (both intentional and unintentional)?
- Why even though the listing is not available for purchase, the renewal fees are still active?

Some of these mods cost triple digits and I think users deserve at least a basic explanation why they are removed. At the very least so we know whether this is permanent or temporary and to decide whether to keep relying on this mod in our communities. 

1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Because it's either not marked as compatible with 4.3 or the contributor doesn't currently have an active license.

Sounds simple and reasonable enough if these are the only conditions. I would add your sentence to the first one in the resource description to make it more clear. 

Otherwise people will keep getting confused.

7 hours ago, jair101 said:

Sounds simple and reasonable enough if these are the only conditions. I would add your sentence to the first one in the resource description to make it more clear. 

Otherwise people will keep getting confused.

Some thoughts:

1. The disabled file reason is a generic message.  There's no way to toggle the message anyways depending on circumstances.  

2. How IPS communicates with its contributor community can be improved, especially over critical steps like delisting or hiding files.  Marketplace updates that impact file listings, pricing or payouts, or official policies really should be sent out via email as a Contributor Alert.  

I send out Champion Alerts on my site via email to my biggest superusers (aka champions) who help me govern my galleries and clubs.  In my case, anything that affects people or money (things like group permissions or subscriptions) need to be escalated to email notification to ensure all of the proper stakeholders are informed of the biggest announcements.  

I do want to add that even though I'm critical of how IPS communicates over the recent Marketplace changes, I do applaud the actual changes.  We have one of the cleanest and safest marketplaces out of all forum makers which are ultimately for the protection of clients.  

Archived