Assigning secondary group to all members of a primary one

PPlanet

Hello,

I wonder if this can be made via SQL query and if someone can help me out with it.

In the near future I may need to assign a secondary group to all members of a particular primary group.

For example I'll need to assign group 13 as a secondary one to all members who have group 6 as their primary one for example. So, they keep group 6 as their primary and get group 13 as a secondary one.

Is it possible?

14 hours ago, bfarber said:

You could use group promotion rules for this.

I did a quick test with a group that only has a few members. So, the only condition I selected was registered between x and y dates and saved.

Nothing happened. I know how to make promotions work with a certain amount of posts, but this other case is needed for members with any amount of posts.

In the case of x number of posts, the promotion is triggered by making a post, in this other case it looks like I'm missing something triggering that promotion. I thought that selecting a registration range and the group to be applied to would be enough when just saving, but it doesn't look that way. Any ideas? Cheers.

What are you trying to achieve anyway? Normally, secondary groups are used to apply additional benefits. But if the members of the secondary group are the same as the primary group, that can all be handled in the primary group. So I can’t think of any good reason to do what you are trying to do. 

44 minutes ago, opentype said:

What are you trying to achieve anyway? Normally, secondary groups are used to apply additional benefits. But if the members of the secondary group are the same as the primary group, that can all be handled in the primary group. So I can’t think of any good reason to do what you are trying to do.

I'm probably implementing paid subscriptions from July 1st. However, there is a group that won't need to buy a subscription to access the additional benefits for as long as they signed up before July 1st. So, I thought of assigning all those members a secondary group automatically, and then assign it manually on a one by one case to those who sign up after July 1st.

Group promotion checks are made when the member account is 'saved', which means when they next login (i.e. we have to update their last activity timestamp) or when they are otherwise edited causing their accounts to need to be updated in the database. They are not applied immediately and/or via a task.

Archived