How To Recover a Forum ID

gabs007

Short Story. I saved a few search urls for one of my IPS websites. They searched specifically in forums or "nodes" 4,6,7,9,14  

It happened that 4 days ago I thought, "Those forums are not actually needed any more" so instead of moving them to a Moderator Category, hidden from public view, I deleted the forums ??‍♂️ My mistake.

Well, now I need to recover forum ID,  6,7 & 14  but I deleted them. New Forums I create will have a different ID ( 40,41 etc ) and I have more than a hundred URL's searching for those nodes "4,6,7,9,14" and I can't change those URLs. 

My question is. If I create a new forum, can I modify the ID directly in the database ? For example I create a forum, the system says it's forum 46. Could I go to the mysql and replace the 46 for a 6 ? for example ? or is there anything else I should take into account ?

39 minutes ago, AlexWright said:

Is there not a backup point to restore to? I would advise against directly editing the database...

I thought about that too, but  It's been already 4 days. I can't restore the backup and losing those 4 days.

I wouldn't recommend editing values in the database directly (for instance, permissions are stored in a separate table and that table would also need to be adjusted).

Why not just set up a redirect (i.e. an .htaccess redirect) to send these saved URLs to the new location?

Archived